MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fans Fans Fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Egnater / Randall Modular Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suphuckers
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Fans Fans Fans Reply with quote

So I wasn't sure where the best place to post this was, so I chose here.

I thought maybe this would help someone. I can't be the only one with a noisy fan.

Recently the fan in one of my RM4's started making a bunch of noise. I took it apart. I was able to get it to quiet down by taking off the sticker/cap and putting a tiny amount of oil on the end of the shaft. I was afraid it would start making the noise again, so I went looking for a new fan.

I was able to find the exact same fan that's in there, but the 1 or 2 that I found were a bit pricey. I did a little bit of looking around, and here's what I came up with....

https://xbox-experts.com/shop/xilence-red-wing-case-fan-80mm-126/EUR/

I got 2 of these shipped for about $15. It doesn't have the same connector on it, but I just used the connector off of my original fan. I soldered the wires together and used a bit of shrink tube. It only took me about 1/2hr total, including the time I spent disassembling the RM4.

To look at it, it's basically the same fan as the original, but it's better made. It has a few more fins and it has a pulse wire that I just snipped off for computers to monitor the fan speed. The air flow is about the same as the old fan, and it's pretty much completely silent. I turned it off instead of on once because I didn't realize it was already on. It's that quiet.

Soooo, If anyone has a noisy fan... There ya go Wink

59' Sears Wish Book Cowboy Guitar w/ Christmas Box, AXL Acoustic Guitar Pickup w/ E-pin Jack, Marshall MS-2 1/2 Stack Classic. ohhh, and some modules.
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
MarcoR
Donating Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks!
isolated1523
RM50

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find -- I've always thought my RM100 heads had noisy fans to begin with, though I guess you cant really hear it once I turn the sound up lol...

-Adam
Current: GSP1101/Tech21 MidiMoose/Senn IEMs
j4q0
RM100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the fan on the RM4 was very noisy, I think I'll follow this steps.
isolated1523
RM50

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j4q0 wrote:
I always thought the fan on the RM4 was very noisy, I think I'll follow this steps.

Just noisy in general, or to a point where it injects noise into the signal/nearby mics?
Current: GSP1101/Tech21 MidiMoose/Senn IEMs
j4q0
RM100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy in general, as in I want to turn the unit off when the guitar is silent.
In a band situation it's not a problem, but when I'm playing home or recording, anytime the guitar is silent I hear a loud fan. I reckon it's not a huge deal.
dsmetal14
RM50

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Suphuckers! The fans in every Randall head I have ever owned had noisy obnoxious fans. I plan on upgrading to this very soon.

I did find a place in the us that sells the same fan though.

http://www.xoxide.com/xilence-80mm-redwing-fan-pwm.html
suphuckers
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that looks like the same fan. Do they charge for shipping? If so it'll cost more.

59' Sears Wish Book Cowboy Guitar w/ Christmas Box, AXL Acoustic Guitar Pickup w/ E-pin Jack, Marshall MS-2 1/2 Stack Classic. ohhh, and some modules.
LarsTurms
RM20

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I've done the same mod on Friday (probably only a couple of hours before you posted this). If you think RM4 fan was loud then you haven't heard my RT2/50 before it went through the same treatment (FINALLY!).
ricky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions about this fan biz.
Yes all of my fans are loud as soon as I turn the amp on. That noise always bugged me. Has nayone noticed the fan noise coming through the power section? I turn the speaker off and can hear the fan hum. When I turn the speaker back on I hear the hum plus a little bit of an amplied hum. When you guys put the new fans in, did it get rid of that too? It seems to be mostly in my RM50s.
In my RM4 I sometimes turn it on and the fan is really noisy. I then turn it off and back on and it is a lt better but still unusable if I have an open mic in the room.
What I wonder is if the RM50 somehow picks up the fan noise and mildly amplifies it somehow and if these new quiet fans will deal with that?
Boys, we are honing in on perfection here.......
suphuckers
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fan problem was just like that... turn the RM4 on and off to get it to quiet down. I decided to replace the fan when turning it on and off about 10x was required. Mine was really loud. It made an almost buzzing sound before I lubed it. Now I really/honestly can't tell it has a fan in it.

I bought extra fans to put in my RM100 and my other RM4. I never noticed any fan noise in my RM50. Although I did buy a fan for it too. Maybe it's not working? Shocked

Anyways, I do hear some fan noise coming through the speakers in my RM100, and the fan is loud as can be (Though not as loud as the RM4 fan was). That's the next fan I plan to replace, but I haven't done it yet.

Soooo can't tell ya if it'll fix the problem or not.

Maybe you could let us know? Wink

stalksdalls
RM20

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up an RM20 head and have been using it for practice. I just noticed that I don't hear the fan operating, as I do with my RM100 and my RM20 combo.

I've quit using the head for fear of damaging it. I'd like to fix it, but I have a couple of questions.

Does anyone know whether the fan is on a fuse that might be blown without affecting the rest of the amp? If so, which fuse?

Or does the fan need to be replaced, period?

Thanks,
Jim
Jaded Faith XTC
Tokai Strat
tschrama
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!

Good deals with: C2ply, BenMesaBoog, YouguitarHero, nitrous12, kylendm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Egnater / Randall Modular Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: