Mesa fifty/fifty strange sound, please help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j4q0

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this would be the appropriate place for this so here it goes.

I have a Mesa Fifty/Fifty that has been stored inside a rack case for months, yesterday I powered it up to double check everything is OK before selling it and found myself with this strange sound:

http://youtu.be/EDt3AdcmnIY

Both sides of the amp work perfectly and the amp sounds as it should, the sound is not in the audio signal, it comes from a vibration of the main transformer which you can feel as you lay your hand on the chassis.
I've never had a problem with this amp before storing it so this just came out of the blue so to speak.
Does anyone have an idea of what the problem would be?
I hope I don't need to replace the transformer.

Could you give me any directions as to how can I fix this, or would I need a new transformer?

suphuckers said:
It's the plates of the transformer j4q0. They can get loose over time. They vibrate against each other.

j4q0 said:
Could you give me any directions as to how can I fix this, or would I need a new transformer?

suphuckers said:
It's the plates of the transformer j4q0. They can get loose over time. They vibrate against each other.

Open it up and see if it's loose where it's mounted. If the plates themselves are vibrating there isn't much that you can do (that I know of). You can try disconnecting the ground and using different power sources. Sometimes that stuff can make a transformer hum. ..but like I said if its the plates... I think you just have to replace it.

Take it to a friends house or work and see if it hums there. (not kidding)

Before I'd even think about replacing the transformer, I'd eliminate ALL chances that it has anything to do with the power source you have it plugged into.

So,
I also noticed a similar hum coming out from my studio monitors so I thought about what gear connected to the same power source had changed in the last couple of weeks, the only thing was 2 humidifiers.
So I turned them off and no more hum. The hum will come back only if both units are on the low setting.

Thanks for the suggestion suphuckers, I thought about the power source being contaminated by something but was puzzled because the rest of the gear didn't have that problem.

Problem solved!