"This Hate of Mine" Shameless Plug

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianiac5150

Reaction score
Hello fellow MTS'ers!

I'm in the midst of tracking several tunes with a drummer and decided to post a 24 hour sampler of where we are so far with a demo premix. As all guitar tracks include the awesome Randall MTS Recto/RT250 (paired with a Mesa Mark V), I thought I'd share it here, along with shamelessly soliciting a "LIKE" on our Facebook page.

I'd love to get your feedback, good or bad...I'm a big boy.

Thanks!

24 HOUR ONLY - AUDIO LINK REMOVED

THoM Facebook Page

I think the clicking sound audiomidijace is referring to is from the bass on the intro in the first tune.
Perhaps is not the appropriate bass tone for your album mix?
Not a fan of those clean guitar tones and the cymbals are tiring me ears a bit, the perception of that could change when the vocals are mixed in?
I've never liked the recto tones when playing them, I like hearing them though, this one sounds pretty cool \m/

Of course all of this is personal preference on how something should sound :D
Cool tunes, I'm headbanging along while listening to them.

When can I buy?

I didn't hear the clicking at 1st. After reading Jace's comment, I went back and listened a 2nd time. I did hear it the 2nd time, and it was clear as day (if the click I'm hearing is the same as the one he's talking about), but I really didn't notice it the 1st time. Point being... it's there, but it's not omg horrible. Unfortunately now that Jace has pointed it out, I cant stop noticing it though. ..and it is kind of bugging me when I listen now.

I'll start with I like it!! That way there is no confusion! but...

I think "for me" some spots are pushing it for brightness. That might also be contributing to the clicking issue. Which may just be something that's too bright, and not an actual click. The bass is def playing a roll in some of it. I think sometimes I hear the strings hit the frets, and with the brightness at the level it is, it might come out as a click. Once in a while it seems like it might be going along with a drum or a symbol as well. That lead me to think it might just be an "overall" brightness issue. I think there might be an unpleasant sounding symbol in there too.. maybe? I really didn't care for the tone of the bass at all. Do you have an actual bass player? Or are you (the guitar player) playing the bass too? For me one of the problems with the guitarist playing the bass, is that a lot of times the bass tends to follow the guitar tracks too closely. I think it sounds a lot better when the bass is more independent from the guitar. Plus I've gone back and listened 4 or 5 times now, and yeah I really don't like that bass tone. I also thought some of the guitar tones were starting to get a tiny bit hairy, but it never got to the point that it really bothered my ears too badly. All of these comments are minor, and I'm not suggesting anything drastic. Except maybe for the bass. I don't think I like that bass. Hopefully you really are a "big boy", that would be refreshing around here LoL

I also think "IMO" it needs thickened up some. Maybe a re-amp'd additional heavier guitar track? Maybe an on the Heavier side Mark style tone? ...but that's really starting to get into personal preference and creative aspects.

Overall I like it. I did say I like it right? ..and just so you're not confused, I like it! Too many times some of these little girls get their panties ruffled up over this crap ;)

I like that your drummer seems to be actively participating in the songs, and not just playing the background. He kept distracting me from the guitar tracks. \m/ to him for pulling that off!

This stuff is crying out for vocals and crazy leads (which I'm not sure you're going to add, but I hope you do). I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Good stuff

I hope this is helpful.

suphuckers said:
I also think "IMO" it needs thickened up some. Maybe a re-amp'd additional heavier guitar track? Maybe an on the Heavier side Mark style tone? ...but that's really starting to get into personal preference and creative aspects.

Actually this might be related to the thing I was saying with the bass. If the bass had a thicker heavier tone (and this is a creative thing, but I also think if the bass had a more independent part musically...) it would fill this in, and I don't think I'd be hearing/feeling it anymore. I think... "it's all about the bass" for most of these things ;)

Good morning from NW Ohio!

Wow!!! Thanks everyone for the thorough responses, listen and time in doing so. I truly appreciate every comment I've read.

I did forget to mention that I put this here, solely 'cause there's an MTS in the tracking - which sounds awesome, IMO (although maybe not clearly in these examples) - and 'cause several friends have been asking to here it, so I put them on Soundcloud for a 24 hour period. They're coming down tonight and the next time these see the dubdubdub will be post mastering.

The mix is FAAARRRR from complete and was simply done by me [guitarist/ guitarist playing bass as a guitarist (agreed)] at home, very quickly, to give the drummer samples of his playing. Drums way more up in the current mix than anything else and there definitely are some punishing freq's throughout.

Seriously...thanks again for all the feedback. I look forward to sharing the real deal with you all soon.