Recording

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trendkill1168

Reaction score
I want to start recording some of my music onto my computer but have no idea what to buy to get it done. Currently I have a Line 6 Guitar Port and it's fine for messing around with the different amp modules/effects but I want to record using my half stack. I have the RM100 with a Randall 4X12 and my speaker cabinet has mic eliminators so I can plug in direct eliminating the need for a microphone. I was thinking about buying a Line 6 Tone Port and plugging it directly into my cabinet. Is there an easier way? Looking for an inexpensive way to record with user friendly software, any suggestions?

Oh man, there are tons of options out there! And you will enter a world of constant buying - so beware (check out the evil spiral at http://www.authenticaudio.com) ....

My favorites for the lower end stuff that really can grow as your recording skills grow - 2-4 inputs at a time are:
1. Presonus Firebox - includes Cubase LE - good quality, firewire port needed and has problems with windows media edition installed, but is probably the best value out there - $299 ($240 for a blem one at musicians friend). Some free plugins before May 31 on the full price ones.

2. M-audio - FW410 (also firewire) - $299 includes Ableton Live, not as nice as Cubase, but if you want to go to Pro Tools someday, you can buy PT M-powered. There is also the FastTrack for $199, but I doubt it is as good.

3. MBox 2 - $450 but includes Pro Tools, pretty good interface - USB compatible

Mackie has some stuff - upgrades for their mixers (if you need a mixer anyway) that includes Traktion software.

There are EMU cards available that seem pretty nice.

I just don't know anything about the Line6 recording stuff and there are a bunch of USB keyboard controllers that have built in audio interfaces in the $250+ range.

Get an SM57 and mic it up - that will probably sound the best anyway.

Heads Up - if you have a local guitar center, they have their standard "holiday" blow out sale coming up - Memorial day and Labor Day - big cuts on some clearance and used stuff, and if you know what you want to buy new, they are more able to work you a deal.

Please feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions - recording is my real hobby... :lol:

Are you able to have record at a loud volume? Knowing the answer to that question will definitely steer some of the options.

drunton said:
Oh man, there are tons of options out there! And you will enter a world of constant buying - so beware (check out the evil spiral at http://www.authenticaudio.com) ....

My favorites for the lower end stuff that really can grow as your recording skills grow - 2-4 inputs at a time are:
1. Presonus Firebox - includes Cubase LE - good quality, firewire port needed and has problems with windows media edition installed, but is probably the best value out there - $299 ($240 for a blem one at musicians friend). Some free plugins before May 31 on the full price ones.

2. M-audio - FW410 (also firewire) - $299 includes Ableton Live, not as nice as Cubase, but if you want to go to Pro Tools someday, you can buy PT M-powered. There is also the FastTrack for $199, but I doubt it is as good.

3. MBox 2 - $450 but includes Pro Tools, pretty good interface - USB compatible

Mackie has some stuff - upgrades for their mixers (if you need a mixer anyway) that includes Traktion software.

There are EMU cards available that seem pretty nice.

I just don't know anything about the Line6 recording stuff and there are a bunch of USB keyboard controllers that have built in audio interfaces in the $250+ range.

Get an SM57 and mic it up - that will probably sound the best anyway.

Heads Up - if you have a local guitar center, they have their standard "holiday" blow out sale coming up - Memorial day and Labor Day - big cuts on some clearance and used stuff, and if you know what you want to buy new, they are more able to work you a deal.

Please feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions - recording is my real hobby... :lol:

Thanks for all the help, I am looking into the PreSonus and the M-Audio units. Pretty excited to get some recording going. Will have to post some MTS clips when I get it all figured out. :twisted:

Santa was kind enough to bring me a microphone so its time to buy more gear to make it work. So I thought I would bump this old thread to see if anyone else has anything to add to the already great info here.

tia
drew

Check out reaper (google it) as your recording software. Its basically never-expiring shareware thats free to try and a license is only $50.

This amazing software competes very well against the more expensive apps like Sonar, cubase and even protools.

Highly recommended for recording newbies all the way to pro's.

there is so much to the ART of recording its hard to know what advice to give..other than
don't talk about it
don't post about it...
just record!!!! And remember if it sounds right...it IS right.
(a quote from Joe Meek)