Your most versatile single channel module...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Mine has to be MarkUS with a dedicated clean channel, a Mark voice, and recto voice....Although a runner up goes to the Mandarine Graphic OR as it can also do a very nice gritty clean, an awesome mid gain, and a great high gain all just with the gain control...

What about you guys?

Sacred groove XTC LE is my most versitile, and I dig it!

Blue channel mid gain
Red channel lotta gain
Plexi switch
Structure switch
3-way depth switch
2 pre EQ modes
Boost swith

All these tone shaping options and rolling the Gain down gives some cool character as well.

The MarkUS is def versatile, but I said this before and I'll say it again...

If I could own only one module... It would have to be the TwinFace!

It won't do modern Metal or etc but... I love that Module. It goes from beautiful cleans to pretty **** heavy, and doesn't bat an eye.

Of course it's not as heavy as the Mark or the Angel or etc but...

Love that thing!

Suphuckers you bought a JF Vibe Deluxe recently. How do you like that one? The Twinface is on my list of mods that I must have. Stonerverb or Rverb is too, not sure which yet.

Oregon said:
Sacred groove XTC LE is my most versitile, and I dig it!

Blue channel mid gain
Red channel lotta gain
Plexi switch
Structure switch
3-way depth switch
2 pre EQ modes
Boost swith

All these tone shaping options and rolling the Gain down gives some cool character as well.
I got one of these not too long ago and I would have to agree!

Charfett said:
Suphuckers you bought a JF Vibe Deluxe recently. How do you like that one? The Twinface is on my list of mods that I must have. Stonerverb or Rverb is too, not sure which yet.

I like the Vybe. I was impressed when I got it at how well it emulates an old Class A amp. It almost sounds like it's actually pushing the Power tubes. Rob did a great Job with it. If I could only buy one, the TwinFace or the Vybe, it would definitely be the TwinFace though. The TwinFace won't do what the Vybe does, and vise versa. They are absolutely nothing alike. The Vybe has more of a 60's thing going on. The TwinFace has more like a 70's-80's-90's thing going on.

I am digging the C-Watt.
Spent some time today jumping from clean Jesus Lizard tones to the glacial stoner sludge of Sleep's Dopesmoker.
Not a one trick pony at all.

Of the mods I've had (most by now), I think the most versatile is either the JF XTC (clean and Marshally in Plexi mode, Blue, Red, etc - as described above for the SG XTC), or the Salvo 50R (It does cleans to serious brutality, all with just a twist of the gain knob, and sounds great everywhere - the Graphic is close I suppose, but a different flavor, and doesnt do cleans near as well IMO). Honorable mention to the Salvo Stonerverb - also great clean to brutal, but again, of a different flavor.

For my tastes tho, if I could have only one, it'd prolly be the VybeDeluxe. Does beautiful, warm, spanky, and/or sparkly cleans to very thick low/mid gain to convincing Marshall mid-gain, and even some pretty **** good high gain stuff (can get kinda Recto-ish) - all just in the Vybe mode (which is where I keep it). All this can be had via dirt pedals out front with gain static. My Vybe + a TC Nova Drive is all I'd really actually need... Plus, the Vybe takes effects in front better than anything else I've ever tried - I can saturate it with 'verb, delay and/or modulation fx and it really takes them as if theyre in a loop. Nothing else comes close in that regard - no idea why, must be some sorcery, lol.

The Twox is very similar to the Vybe in it's versatility, but has a different sound/feel - also a great mod!

I guess a good way to ask this question would be if your only amp was an RM20, what mod would you gig with?
I do a lot of everything except metal and I have actually had to make the choice. I use the JF OD Special as it can do clean-ish C&W to nice old R&B to some nasty *** R&R. I even have clip of me using it for a classic L-5 jazz tone.

ricky said:
I guess a good way to ask this question would be if your only amp was an RM20, what mod would you gig with?
I do a lot of everything except metal and I have actually had to make the choice. I use the JF OD Special as it can do clean-ish C&W to nice old R&B to some nasty *** R&R. I even have clip of me using it for a classic L-5 jazz tone.

+1 on the ODS. That would be my 2nd choice... if I could have ONLY ONE.

JF Silverado. The thing blows me away. Especially in clean mode with the gain around 1-3 o clock. The touch sensitivity and tone it puts out gives me goosebumps sometimes.
I had it cranked yesterday and it put my Marshall 30th anniversary and fender bandmaster to shame.

Versatility hasn't been my main concern with modules! Hell I used to play a stereo rig with two different modules simultaneously! :lol:
That being said; JF Silverado, JF XTC and JF Voxless really did a lot of things well. I have a new JF Twin that I'm in love with. Twin/Deluxe select and a Pushed mode. I replaced my Voxless with this one. It was just time for something different.

Mine would be our Machless Chieftain module which can do the Matchless/Vox chime through to pushed mid-gain Marshall type tones, plus it's a good pedal platform.

Our custom 50W RM2 has the RM20/22's input boost stage too which adds a lot of versitility).

djdayson said:
Mine would be our Machless Chieftain module which can do the Matchless/Vox chime through to pushed mid-gain Marshall type tones, plus it's a good pedal platform.

Our custom 50W RM2 has the RM20/22's input boost stage too which adds a lot of versitility).
Do you have pictures and or sound clips? I have never heard or seen any of what you just posted.

Isn't the VoxLess kind of an AC30 and Matchless DC30 mod?
I did a video for Bad Cat amps and it was amazing how much they were like the Voxless module. I think someone told me that BaD Cat was started by a Matchless person. I have just never seen anyone putting out a Chieftain mod. Who built it? Did Rob do a one of for you?

Spencer4hire said:
djdayson said:

Do you have pictures and or sound clips? I have never heard or seen any of what you just posted.

It drives me nuts. he always pipes in with having the best sounding and coolest mods but we never get to see them or learn anything more about them. burns :p

For me it's either DuoPlex or 50R...... clean>crunch>gain all in one mod with varying flavors of each

I never said it was the "best sounding or coolest mod", that's your imagination?

These are built by us and not offered to the public as we're not in the guitar amp business. If you'd like one, just get a Chieftain schematic and follow it as closely as possible within the confines of the MTS system, and tune it with your ears. Any of the pro modders here could build you one easily.

The unique thing about a Chieftain is it's tone stack's post treble control, and with the mid control down it does a nice Vox/Matchess thing, and with the mids up it approaches a vintage Marshall's mids (assuming EL34's which is what the real ones use).

It's a medium gain preamp, likely not enough gain for most of you guys LOL, though you RM-20/22 guys can use your V1b's boost to kick it up like I do with our RM-2.

Here's a pic of the 50W RM-2 and the Matchless Chieftain (along with a Orange OR-120), though considering that the guitar and pups, tube power section, speaker(s), cab, mic(s) and their positioning along with the mic preamp(s) all have as much or more to do with any tone than the preamp does alone, clips won't help you much.

Sacred Groove did all of our module's faceplates, thanks again!

Cheiften_FPs.jpg

withmittens said:
Spencer4hire said:
djdayson said:

It drives me nuts. he always pipes in with having the best sounding and coolest mods but we never get to see them or learn anything more about them. burns :p

For me it's either DuoPlex or 50R...... clean>crunch>gain all in one mod with varying flavors of each

I also find these to cover a lot of ground usefully:

JF Erect
Salvo Graphic OR & Stonerverb
Salvo 1/37
SG Fisch le (although not as broad as XTC LE)

Gotta play around with the Gain knob...