Question about the "modded" Brahma

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WienerDog

Reaction score
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewt...&start=0&sid=0e5f22ffd1f59da4ff160e864947f25a

The thread linked above talks about Brahma modules that have been modified by Dave Friedman. If I recall correctly, when the Brahma was first available for sale, it was out of spec and the sound was thin and lacked gain. But Dave Friedman then offered a mod for these units to get them where they should be. I have a Brahma that was made in 2010, with the black faceplate and the cap-resistor "network" in the input stage. Is my unit the same as the Friedman-modded Brahmas?

WienerDog said:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewt...&start=0&sid=0e5f22ffd1f59da4ff160e864947f25a

The thread linked above talks about Brahma modules that have been modified by Dave Friedman. If I recall correctly, when the Brahma was first available for sale, it was out of spec and the sound was thin and lacked gain. But Dave Friedman then offered a mod for these units to get them where they should be. I have a Brahma that was made in 2010, with the black faceplate and the cap-resistor "network" in the input stage. Is my unit the same as the Friedman-modded Brahmas?

You could take a photo and send it to Friedman to be sure but I'm guessing anything in later production (e.g. Black Faceplate) is corrected....but who knows? These things used to get messed up all the time with (presumably incorrect/wrong revision) schematics being pass on to new manufacturers....or values being read wrong.

To further confuse the subject, I had three diff spec brahmas. One was weak and thin but did have the caps in the input stage. Had the voicing but nada for gain. This one I modded.

Second one was another white faceplate brahma which sounded WAY better and much like it should.

The third was a supposed Friedman modded brahma and it had just a bit more clarity than the other two so that is the one I kept.

Bottom line, 2 and 3 were/are very good. First one was a dog and I modded it to my infamous brownstone module.

I got a white faceplate one with a weird looking resistor/cap network on it, but I'm not crazy about the sound. It gets real thin when I back the gain down, and doesn't have a whole lot of gain really.

So how does one go about modding these up to the right specs? Is there a schematic out there?