New Jaded Faith 5F6JFM Tweed module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
I received Rob's new 5F6JFM Tweed module yesterday. For those of you who don't know, I've had Rob make me a handful of custom Tweed modules over the years. I also have his TWOX module. I've always preferred the tone of the Bassman over the Deluxe and the Twin. With many of those modules I was striving for a truly "clean" tone. That's something I've struggled with during my MTS years. With the TWOX, Rob finally nailed it. I should mention that I play with vintage output humbuckers almost exclusively these days. With the TWOX I can get a perfect Tweed clean tone. VERY happy with it. The only thing it doesn't do well (for me) is take boost and overdrive pedals. With this new module I was looking for low and mid gain tones.
Here we go....
I plugged in and played all of my guitars through it. While it sounded good, there was just too much gain for my tastes. V1 has a 12AT7 tube so I started experimenting with other tubes in V2. Strangely the stock tube that I hated and pulled from my Backstair HT-Boost pedal worked PERFECTLY for this application! It tamed the wild beast and has a much more appropriate vintage tone for my ears. I can still get plenty of gain as well. This one takes pedals VERY well! With my humbuckers I can get close to the TWOX clean, but with single coils you can get amazing clean tones! It really allows the different character of my different humbuckers to shine through.
I've also played the JF Plexi/Tweed and the Salvation Baseman and the 5F6JFM is BY FAR the closest thing to a real Bassman amp that I've heard. If you're in to the Tweed tone it doesn't get any better than this. 8)

thanks for the review I was thinking about that mod when I saw it on his list. I just traded for a Vybe Deluxe and thought that would be a good compliment to it.

Thinking about having Rob make me custom Orange OR120 and Hiwatt CP103 mods as well.

I'm also interested in JF's Bassman mod. Can you get a growl out of it with the gain up? Thinking of that one or his Super Clean.

I'm trying to dial in my recording process for each module.
The link below has me playing through each of my 4 mods.
Twox-5F6-MK22-Mark X.
This will show the difference between the Twox and 5F6.
They're both great.
It's just me messing around. Sloppy playing and all!
I've put markers in that show what mod I'm using, pickup selection and Boost on/off.

https://soundcloud.com/jace-nuzback/rig-jam-july-2015

These sound really good.
Man I never got my Twox to sound like that, I reckon I hadn't swapped tubes at the moment and it had old tubes.
I'm really liking my JF twin though.