MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Favorite Module Tubes for your Higher Gain Modules
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmic10
RM100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Your Favorite Module Tubes for your Higher Gain Modules Reply with quote

I am looking for suggestions!!!
I know to stay away from the Tungsols
Please feel free to comment
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
dcg8
RM100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always a big fan of Ruby Tubes in my high gain modules.
A boat load of mods

Good deals with: Many of the MTS hooligans
drewiv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to gravitate towards Ruby 12AX7AC7 HG+ or just plain old JJ EC883 S.
Nightdare
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Favorite Module Tubes for your Higher Gain Modules Reply with quote

hmic10 wrote:
I am looking for suggestions!!!
I know to stay away from the Tungsols
Please feel free to comment

From what I understand you shouldn't put Tung Sols in the V2 position
apart from that, they're a good tube
hmic10
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through as many tubes as I can get my hands on....Gold Lion now makes a non gold 12AX7 that is awesome...

Short of that, my goto has become the JJECC803S....

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
leonsun
RM20

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for noob question, whics is V1 and V2 in the module? Which needs better tube?
JVM210H
Mesa Single, Mini recto
JCM800
Krank Rev1
Mesa, Engl cabs
Gibson LP Custom, PRS Modern Eagle, PRS Tremonti, Fender strat & tele, LTD TE407, Variax 600

http://reamp-studio.com
Nightdare
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the front

Left is V1, right is V2

But also don't forget V1 in the amp you are using
CrunchBunch
RM50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattfig wrote:
...Short of that, my goto has become the JJECC803S....

Interesting. They're great in my clean modules, but I've steered clear of them for high gain use because of the increased risk of microphonics. You haven't experienced any of that?

I'll definitely give them a go in V1 on some high gain modules....
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use TS tubes if you have them laying around. About the only place I use TS tubes is in V2. I don't use TS's much ever at all, def not my favorite tubes, but I'm not sure where the rumor started about not using them in V2 on a High Gain module. If you find a good one they have good power. I don't really like them, but if I had one and I needed a tube, that's where I'd put it. Soooo LoL.

If you're going to buy tubes I'd suggest buying the JJ's like several others have suggested. They're just an all around decent tube. The Ruby's aren't bad either. Chinese tubes are good and consistent tubes.

Quote:
Sorry for noob question, whics is V1 and V2 in the module? Which needs better tube?

The left tube is your tone. The right tube is your power. Think about it like that.

I like EH tubes on the left side, but they are very unreliable. You have to try about 6 or 7 tubes to get a good one.

If you don't have a lot of cash or extra tubes laying around Id recommend you get the JJ's, and read my sig about the up charges Wink

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
studio289
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by studio289 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio289 wrote:
Capt_Tippy wrote:
....I'm not sure where the rumor started about not using them in V2 on a High Gain module....

Rob has a sticky on his forum called "PSA regarding tubes"
Apparently it's well documented on the interwebz - even though the failures in the MTS community are hit or miss.
My conclusion was, V2 doesn't necessarily cause New Sensor tubes to fail, but it will expose a tube which was sketchy to begin with.
As always, YMMV.

Well that could be that it might fail... Like I said the EH tubes are very inconsistent. There are a LOT of Sovtec tubes that I wouldn't even bother installing in an amp because I've seen a lot of those that are just total junk. Usually the Tung Sol marked tubes are strong though.

The reason I don't like the Tung Sol's is that they are kind of Harsh sounding. I didn't know the question was about what tube was reliable. I thought the discussion was about tone.

The JJ's and Ruby's are definitely much more reliable than ANY New Sensor tubes. ..and the tone is decent too, which is why everyone seems to be recommending them.

I was just sayin if I needed a tube for V1 on my TwinFace module (for instance), and my only available tube was a TS, I'd take one of my JJ's out of V2 on one of my high gain modules, and I'd put the TS in its place. ..and my experience has been that it will work and sound fine in there. I would however probably never try an EH tube in V2 on a High Gainer. I have had several failures with those in that socket.

You're correct. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure why I bothered to say anything in the 1st place.
leonsun
RM20

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone has experience with TAD tubes in modules?
JVM210H
Mesa Single, Mini recto
JCM800
Krank Rev1
Mesa, Engl cabs
Gibson LP Custom, PRS Modern Eagle, PRS Tremonti, Fender strat & tele, LTD TE407, Variax 600

http://reamp-studio.com
tschrama
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tube cork sniffing is hilarious. It only persists because it gives people, that don't use a soldering iron, a illusion of being able to improve their amp.

The passive components value obliterates the effect a different tube (be it from same factory, or a different factory, let alone a different marketing label), could ever make.

Tubes don't have mids, treble or bass.. they are wide-band amplification devices.

Good deals with: C2ply, BenMesaBoog, YouguitarHero, nitrous12, kylendm.
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschrama wrote:
This tube cork sniffing is hilarious. It only persists because it gives people, that don't use a soldering iron, a illusion of being able to improve their amp.

The passive components value obliterates the effect a different tube (be it from same factory, or a different factory, let alone a different marketing label), could ever make.

Tubes don't have mids, treble or bass.. they are wide-band amplification devices.

It's not as obvious as the way a cap "obliterates" the tone, but just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Even the wire in your guitar can change your tone.

Tubes are like mic's. They create a mirror of your music and send it down the wires. Just like different mic's sound different, so do different tubes. Mic's make more obvious changes, but... sorry about your ears Wink

..and I have a very expensive soldering iron, so your theory on that just went out the window LoL

leonsun wrote:
Anyone has experience with TAD tubes in modules?

TAD tubes are generally good tubes leonsun

I'm not sure they are worth 3-4x the price of a JJ but... I've never had a bad TAD tube.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: