• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Randall RM100 Head $300 - NEEDS TO GO ASAP

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j4q0

Reaction score
A friend of mine asks me for advice on how to set up the mixer as they weren't able to make it sound properly.
After tuning the room with the built in eq for the PA and their monitors I encountered the following:

1. A mic using an unbalanced cable with a 1/4" connector on the other end going into the line input of the mixer. This particular cable had the hot lead connected to the 2 live terminals on the XLR connector end.
If the line input in the mixer is expecting a stronger signal than mic level, how come this mic had a signal as strong or stronger than the other mics using balanced cables going into the mic inputs?

2. The lead singer's guitar signal is as follows:
Acoustic guitar/electric guitar > Boss ME-70 > line input on mixer
His problem was that the clean setting while using his electric guitar was distorting.
Aside from the fact that the ME-70 doesn't have a cabinet emulator which makes the guitar sound awful, the signal going into the line input was overloading the mixer's input so I switched it to the instrument input, problem solved until he gets a cabinet emulator box.
So again, if the line input in the mixer is expecting a stronger signal than instrument level, why would the ME-70 be overloading this input?

Can anyone please explain with some detail the reasons for these issues?
I know the theory and basics behind all this and I've always managed to make things work but I'm certainly confused.

Thanks!