Got a new cab and my now I don't like my mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
I have two stock modules for sale, both in great condition. A Plexi and an XTC mod, both stock silverface modules.

$110 each or both for $200 pp gift, shipped to your door.

Shipping includes insurance and tracking.

So I've been loving my Salvation Benzin mod, it cleaned out tons of my other heavy mods, and became my go to sound.
I've been playing through a cheap Peavey 212 cab I fitted with Celestion Line 6 G12H90's. But I recently decided that it was time to upgrade my cab to a Mesa Oversized 412 with V30's and now I just can't get along with my mod :(

Now it just sounds flubby, muddy and lifeless. I'm seriously bummed out on this. I got rid of my cheap cab, paid much more for this pro cab. But it has really changed my sound, which i knew it would, but i didnt expect it to change in such a bad way.

There is no single change you can make that will have a larger impact on your sound than the speaker and cab you have it loaded in. No mod nor upgrade can touch the gravity of this one change. this is often why you hear so many folks love one amp/module and others hate it. All rigs are not equal.

I should also add that the speaker/cab combination also matter. Often a speaker can sound amazing in one enclosure and poor in another. I keep a dozen cabs loaded differently in the shop for this very reason. Folks are often shocked how different their amp can sound through different drivers.

The actual signal appearing at your speaker jack sounds similar to fuzzy white noise and not at all like what you think it is after a speaker enters the equation. It's best to think about your speaker like a filter, which it is.

The Mesa OS 4X12 is known to be low end heavy. Often described as boomy and muddy. Trade that cab for Mesa Traditional (I think they call it that anyway) or Marshall 1960. Your V30's will tighten right up.

Jaded Faith said:
I should also add that the speaker/cab combination also matter. Often a speaker can sound amazing in one enclosure and poor in another. I keep a dozen cabs loaded differently in the shop for this very reason. Folks are often shocked how different their amp can sound through different drivers.

The actual signal appearing at your speaker jack sounds similar to fuzzy white noise and not at all like what you think it is after a speaker enters the equation. It's best to think about your speaker like a filter, which it is.

This is very true. I definitely liked my MTS setup through my hughes & kettner 4x12 with V30s, but with my new avatar 2x12 tour monitor (still V30s), I absolutely love my setup. It took a little EQ-section tweaking, of course.

11717268_10101431514565613_903383784_n.jpg

11716116_10101431514510723_1527481360_n.jpg

-Adam

Adam,
How do you like those monitor-style enclosures? I have been toying with grabbing one from Avatar or Mojo. Good stuff?
Rob

Well I'm going to stick with the cab I just bought as I was looking for a large 412, as I'm the only guitarist in my bands and wanted the big cab for a big sound.
It's just not tight enough with this setup now. So I'm going to try some tighter HG mods with the cab and see how they contrast.
Considering the cab is lower and looser, a tigher HG mod may make that difference.

My V30 has always been the weak link in my cabs. I have a few cabs and leave the one with V30 at home for practice. I know it's supposed to be the sound of the 80's.....but everything was totally processed in the 80's. I'd hit craigslist looking for used speakers to buy for cheap and try what you can. otherwise contact Weber and describe what you are looking for. they will at least set you in the right direction

Well I'm going to try some different mods with the cab and see where I end up. It may end up being a case of removing 2 of the V30's for 2 other speakers that contrast better.

Those Mesa rector 4x12s are infamous for being a little big flubby - both the stiletto 4x12 and the old Mark series 4x12 are better IMHO.

However I've had good results cross patterning them with the V30 already in there and G12T-75. The 75's can be a bit brittle on their own but seem to work with the V30 - in essence they seem to cancel out each other’s flaw, the 75s seem to add a touch of hair and ease the mid hump of the V30s and the V30s seem to reduce the 75s tendency to get a little ice pick like - win win :)

I also got some 65 watt Creambacks recently and I'm loving those - currently got one in a 1x12 Mesa DC5 combo and it rocks! Going to cross patern them with the V30's when I get a chance too!

An interesting thing just happened. My mate brought my RM100 with EL34's back to my house and the difference is night and day.
There i was thinking it was all the cab, and the difference between the RM50 with 6L6's and the RM100 is huge!
Now it's still slightlly different in its feel to my other 212, but of course it is.
BUT now the flubby low end and lack of punch is totally gone with the RM100. It's all fire and brimstone heavy again!! Very happy!
I'm glad I didn't do any major changes to my setup before the RM100 came back!

buriedorburned said:
An interesting thing just happened. My mate brought my RM100 with EL34's back to my house and the difference is night and day.
There i was thinking it was all the cab, and the difference between the RM50 with 6L6's and the RM100 is huge!
Now it's still slightlly different in its feel to my other 212, but of course it is.
BUT now the flubby low end and lack of punch is totally gone with the RM100. It's all fire and brimstone heavy again!! Very happy!

I have always found 6L6's to be a bit heavy on the low end for my tastes. I am glad you are still unlocking the possibilities with your rig.

buriedorburned said:

Glad you got it worked out. If you end up missing your old tone, try mixing 6L6s with EL34s...One of the great features on the RM100...

Mattfig said:
Glad you got it worked out. If you end up missing your old tone, try mixing 6L6s with EL34s...One of the great features on the RM100...

I still like the 6CA7 / EL34 mix you turned me onto a few years ago better. That was the go to combo for me until just a few months ago. Back to all 34's now.

I really like my Egnator 2x12. It's oversized, and has a removable panel in the back for that open tone option. The stock speakers are made custom by celestion for Eggie, each 80 watt. They don't color the sound much to what I hear, but I bought it with a Tourmaster head, and later kept when I sold the head.

You have mono or stereo input options (At home I like running my RT/250 with EL34's into one side, and 6L6's into the other input, to hear the power tube's difference.)

I love my Bogner 4x12 with v30 and g12t's in crisscross. Best cab I've ever had, and that's been quite a few.

Also just bought 2 loose Eminence legends and put them in an old 2x12 and it sounds great too.

Maybe I just like everything though because I thought my Mesa oversized rec 4x12 sounded amazing, and people are hating on it.