My problem needs your suggestions...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
Hi,
So I LOVE a certain guitar. they made less than 100 of em, years ago. So its pretty rare. I found it..and it looks good but...it may have a bridge stud that is loose.
If I buy it..It will need to be fixed. And if it gets fixed: it is no longer original.....what do I do?
did I mention..it isnt cheap? At $800..thats not chump change to me.
but its rare..and I could never make one like it for 800.
Your thoughts????

GtrGeorge

1-
As far as I'm concerned, if it's something I want and like, and would "bring joy," then I buy it.
2-
If the repair is necessary, especially to make it playable, I wouldn't think twice. One has to ask themselves, "Who owns this thing anyhow? Me or someone unknown who may want to buy it and so I have to make them happy instead of myself."

I am a firm member of the "gear is meant to be enjoyed and not looked at behind glass" group. If you love it, get it and get it in playing shape. Not for nothing, but if it's going for $800 and only 100 were made it's not exactly a collectable item. Rare or not, the market hasn't deemed it collectable.

Thank you for your ideas...
I let it slip away. I'll tell you why:
I emailed the owner...the more I learned, the more I knew the guitar would require 300-600 worth of work to be playable (bridge posts are WOOD SCREWS!!..not the original posts) .
Further I don't know of any luthier I trust enough to do the 300-600 worth of work. So I'd buy the guitar at 700 and then play another 600 and then SEE IF IT WAS A GOOD INSTRUMENT. WTF??? If the luthier screwed up...there would be little chance of fixing the messed up guitar.
Don't know about you....but I am not into this much gambling.
I already own 15 guitars...and never enough time to play them (and I play professionally ever weekend, sometimes 2x a day)....so....

I had to let it slip away. Maybe if I had some excess money I would wing it....but I just don't want to go there.
GtrGeorge

The guitar was/is a Westone Pantera. I like them..but they never succeeded in the market place, hence only about 100 were made.
The one I was looking at was screwed, as far as I can determine....wood screws were put in place of the bridge pivots. YUCK.
So I had to pass.
I am comfortable with my decision.

GtrGeorge

The guitar was/is a Westone Pantera. I like them..but they never succeeded in the market place, hence only about 100 were made.
The one I was looking at was screwed, as far as I can determine....wood screws were put in place of the bridge pivots. YUCK.
So I had to pass.

GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
So I had to pass.

GtrGeorge

I think it was a good decision.

If you want a guitar to keep in original condition - don't use it.
If you want a workhorse - don't buy a rare guitar.