Direction for modding XTC and Plexi silver face models?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSuttie

Reaction score
Hi all. I've decided to give modding a try. I'm just a bit stuck at the moment. I've got the Blackface, Plexi, and XTC modules, which came standard with my amp.
I like the Blackface as is, but I may consider the "Clean" mod for it after I try it with high output pickups.

My real decision is which of the two others to make my lead and rhythm tones, as I don't know what can be done to which module yet.

I play Power Metal / Instrumental type stuff in either E standard tuning or D standard tuning. The Rhythm sound I'm looking for is more like Thomas Youngblood, Gus G, or Emppu from Nightwish than Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, etc. I like a full sound with powerful bottom end and good gain / definition. I like to use single note riffs and fills in my rhythm playing.

With regards to lead - I look for a decent midrange and lots of sustain without that "Fizzy" sound a lot of modern Death Metal players have. Think Yngwie, Vinnie Moore, Gus G (again), and to an extent, Uli Jon Roth.

I currently use the XTC as an all round Metal sound, but I'd like to customise each of the channels for dedicated rhythm/lead sounds. I was thinking of doing the Bogner Extacy Red Channel mod to the XTC channel, and replacing C3 with an 0.001uf cap.
As for the Plexi, I'm still unsure, but I'd like to start by adding some more gain.

Does anyone have any advice for me?