New guy looking warm high gain lead module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taipan

Reaction score
Hi all
I bought a Randall RM100 pretty cheap not long ago looking to use it as a back up , but Im finding to my pleasant surprise I like it more than
most of my
vintage Marshalls , Hughes & Hettner Triamp II, Carvin , Laney's

I have the stock clean , XTC , Recto , 1086 and what looks like a very early Salvation Custom 3

Im pretty happy with the clean tone , Recto set for low gain crunch rhythm
AC/DC to southern rock to 80's Rock

But Im struggling to find a liquid high gain lead module that is warn and
stands out in the mix . I thought the XTC and Custom 3 would do it for me as Im a Lukather fan but not so

Im not a very heavy scouped mid type of player
Influences
Lukather , Blues Saraceno , Lynch, Demartini , John Norum , Kee Marcello
Brett Garsed etc...

As I like a lot of gain for lead the modules with built in noise gate interest me.
Sorry for the long post
Any opinions would be appreciated

Cheers
Drew

I'd say a JF, Salvo or SG XTC, salvo shiver, or a stonerverb. Either will prolly be what your after!

Not sure about the XTC modules, but I did have a Stonerverb with a built-in noise gate (none of the XTC modules I've had did, but not to say some may have one).

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the stock XTC is garbage compared to the modded ones, IMO - no comparison at all...

I'll second the JF XTC. Don't let the stock XTC fool you the modded one form Rob is legit. I couldn't stand the stock XTC, but I really like the modded one.

Thanks for the input guys
Im doing a lot of research through the forum

And the various sites of the Mod guys ....there all so tempting makes you want to buy the lot ! :roll:

Good to know about the XTC,
stock is just ok but nothing to rave about

As for the Quickmod Not that I have played a Splawn though was offered one at a good price
All the press I have read is there a bright, tight (stiff) sounding amp
Is this the case with the quickmod ?

I f you like the stock modules, boy howdy are you in for a surprise. The modded ones just kill.
For a steve lukather tone, I really like the JF SLO -100 which is a Soldano mod. I also have the JF XTC, but find the Soldano a lot warmer. It also has the capability of going from a pretty mid-low gain place into more gain than I need on a lot of stuff.

Im back .
I have been playing my vintage amps with a big pedal board lately
but want to get back to the Randall amp soon

Im still looking for the highest gain available
Can someone tell me which is the highest gain module for a very liquid lead sound
The highest gain module I have is the Salvation Custom 3
while its not bad at lower volumes it does not cut it in a band mix

And as Im interested with a module with a built in noise gate
what are the noise gates like in the modules that have them ?

thanks

The heaviest module? What kind of heavy? There's lots of options....

When I think heavy I think Salavation Dread Plate, Mamba, Knucklemod, MarkUS, Stonerverb, etc....What flavor you desire? All above have noise gates..

I'm finding the JF snakebite to be a pretty bitchin lead module. I've also got a recto that works pretty well with the gain on about 4 o'clock and pushed wth a TS. Someone in Australia is selling some modded modules on eBay at the moment, Mamba, snakebite, Trilogy and Mark X.

Sorry I did not say Im not interested in a module that needs a pedal

I always set my leads a lot louder so switching to another module from my rhythm to leads is what works for me ..... you know I dont want to step on a OD pedal and change channels

I really want a module that has a lot of gain and sustain without an overdrive to
tighten up the sound .

Matt , Im not looking for a heavy tone at all
Im looking for an awesome lead sound not too much bass or top end

Stock Mr Scary , Recto or my modded Recto is not enough gain for what I need

Similar to this clip once you get into into the clip where Neal slows down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFIq7ddYOFc

And some of Steve Lukather better tones

I hope that makes sense

Taipan said:
Sorry I did not say Im not interested in a module that needs a pedal

I always set my leads a lot louder so switching to another module from my rhythm to leads is what works for me ..... you know I dont want to step on a OD pedal and change channels

I really want a module that has a lot of gain and sustain without an overdrive to
tighten up the sound .

Matt , Im not looking for a heavy tone at all
Im looking for an awesome lead sound not too much bass or top end

Stock Mr Scary , Recto or my modded Recto is not enough gain for what I need

Similar to this clip once you get into into the clip where Neal slows down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFIq7ddYOFc

And some of Steve Lukather better tones

I hope that makes sense

There is a ton on FX on Neals tone ,huge delays and verbs I think he may also have a sustainer pick up ..

but for the Lead tone IMO the Soldano SLO ,their is no amp that sings and bites as much as that for playing leads ,It is the Hard rock Lead tone .
Modern Hi gain is too low mid to do that ,The XTC is too dark .

its SLO or Hot rod Marshall .you need a lot of upper mid snarl ,and compression