Closing credits track in feature film

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoR

Reaction score
Hey guys! Check out this track I just finished.

The singer of my old band is now making movies and he had a track he wanted to use for the closing credits but didn't know what to do with it. He asked me to have a go at it... I was given a rough track with vocals, acoustic guitar and a drum machine.

I got the isolated vocal tracks and wrote new music for it; changed keys, chords and vibe but made it work with the vocals I was given.

There's not much in the way of guitars and I just used the scratch tracks I laid down when coming up with the idea. It's direct from my M4 using a JF Erect and my self modded SL2X. I was using WOS for cab emulation but the one part is raw direct sound; the nasty direct thing sounded cool in the track so I kept it like that.

Let me know what you think!
https://soundcloud.com/marco-riva-1/rise-up

Overall, I think it sounds pretty good. I'd say that what it lacks most is driving bass, or bass of any note really. IMO, since the music is kinda 'sparse' / not very dense with instrumentation, you really need something to drive that thing, and IMO bass is the ticket - electric bass or synth/electronic, or both. Actually, a killer driving electric bass riff, along with a driving rhythmic synth/electronic bass would pump that thing up just right - give it some weight and dynamics. Just my opinion. Great job putting that together off the cuff like that!

Oh, and not sure what your using for drums, but they are unfortunately obviously sampled - unless that's what your after?

Corium_AZ - Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment! I pretty much agree with all you said but I am curious what you listened through. If I had more time, I would have loved to put some real bass along with the synth bass track and redo the guitars. I think in a later mix, I got the drums to be less obviously sampled; the loud cymbal crashes were the worst.

Mattfig- Thanks brotha!!!

Sadly, I had limited time to get this to production and settled for a slightly better mix than this one to send to mastering. Is what it is but stoked to be in a feature film! Look for Days of Power in January 2016.

MarcoR said:
Corium_AZ - Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment! I pretty much agree with all you said but I am curious what you listened through. If I had more time, I would have loved to put some real bass along with the synth bass track and redo the guitars. I think in a later mix, I got the drums to be less obviously sampled; the loud cymbal crashes were the worst.

Mattfig- Thanks brotha!!!

Sadly, I had limited time to get this to production and settled for a slightly better mix than this one to send to mastering. Is what it is but stoked to be in a feature film! Look for Days of Power in January 2016.

Ha, actually just listened through my crappy earbuds that I listn to all day at work or at the gym. But, I can tell you that I've been recording tons of material myself lately (my band's material), building my recording rig, etc. While I do have some nice studio headphones (no monitors, as theyre not really tolerated in a household with a 10month old and 2yr old, lol), I constantly check my material on those earbuds, as their crappyness does reveal just about any mixing/recording issue - plus that is what most people listen to things on these days - crappy earbuds or car stereos. In any case, by now, I can generally translate what I'm hearing from them to what it'll sound like in a car or in front of some nice monitors - if that makes any sense, lol.

Whoa! nice geetar sounds. I can definitely hear the JF Erect. that is a nice nasty tone.

Whoa! nice geetar sounds. I can definitely hear the JF Erect. that is a nice nasty tone.