MotorCity Mods presents Pirate Clean Video!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the lotion on the jeans gag could have been done better. I always go with hair conditioner in those situations. :roll:

I've been really vocal about the lack of good "clean" MTS modules. I've tried every available solution. Most of them do very well in a "pushed" mode. But almost ALL of them lack clean headroom. You set the gain to 3 and it's already clipping! The JF Twox is the best I've tried in this category. But it is voiced for a Tweed or Vox tone. What flavor is the Pirate Clean in your opinion? In the demo material provided it sounds more neutral and glossy like an old Ampeg V4 or VT40. If so I'd love to try one of these!

It's a smart idea showing how it holds up next to a high gain channel. This is a perfect example of needing a lot of clean headroom so the volume can keep up with the gain channel and still sound clean with no clipping. This is why a lot of metal guys used to use a Marshall for dirt and a Roland JC120 for cleans. Some guys also used bass amps for their clean channel for the same reason.

audiomidijace said:
I've been really vocal about the lack of good "clean" MTS... almost ALL of them lack clean headroom.

This ^. Me too!!! There are some good sounds but it's always a compromise to match the volume to your dirty modules; either sacrifice the dirty by not turning up the volume to the optimal level or sacrifice the clean by accepting some break up.

What's worked fairly well for me is using a compressor on my clean channel to boost the volume but tame the peaks. It's the only way I can use the Bman which has NO headroom but a wonderful round, warm clean tone with a sweet top end. Without the compressor on that one, The master volume would need to be maxed and still wouldn't be able to get most dirty modules past 12:00 on the volume. I'm using the SP compressor BTW.

Matt, your video's are always entertaining. Sounds good but hard for me to form an opinion of a clean tone I would be looking for that's demoed with an LP (I realize the coils are split and I only got about 90% through before my poor internet speed made me give up so I'm not sure if you switched to a strat at the end). But cool anyway!! :D