Salvation Camerock & Camerica

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with both these mods?

I loved my Camerock and am thinking of going back to it. But I did find that it had just too many switches and tonal options for my tastes.

In contrast the Camerica looks ideal, but I want to be sure I'm getting the same style tone I loved from the Camerock.

Plus I have noticed they both have the 'gain style' switch, which to me was the most important part of the Camerock. I want to be sure the 'gain switch' on the Camerica is the same 3-way switch.

Mattfig said:
Hiya,

It functions in the same primary way and the Camerica will certainly get you in that same range of tone you seek...

Matt,

in your experience does the Camerica have a more aggressive 'Gain Style' Switch than the earlier Camerocks?

When I say aggressive, I mean that the clipping is higher and therefore modules are quieter when in the upper or lower positions.

I've owned four Camerocks (including one Dual) and later successions were quieter at the same volume level than the Camerock #002 I had.

I have to crank the Camerica and current Camerock up to about 3 o'clock on the volume dial to get equivalent volume compared to around 11-12 in the more open gain mode.

I assume this is either a pot taper issue or different Zener values?

Sorry for the long post...in summary I think the Camerica sounds a little more modern and compressed compared to the Camerock :)

Listening to the videos on Youtube i didn't really like the Camerica but I did like the Camerock...but maybe it's just the particular video and the clips...??

I take it the camerica is based on the atomica then? I really liked the sound of those Brad production run atomica amps they did a few years back. Thought it had the perfect amount of crunch. Hey Fig do you have any demos of that one?

This from Tony himself...

"Tonally they are similar, Camerica has less features = less tweak options.
Camerica also offers lo-gain mode and has slightly more mids =more modern tone.

The same difference is between Cameron CCV and Cameron Atomica."

People have had the same exact issue with Cameron CCV and Atomica. The CCV (Camerock) is too bright and has too many options....

The answer was Atomica (Camerica) with less options and a presence pot to control top end....

My experience with the Camerica was it does not play well with other modules. You have to dime the volume pot on it to get it anywhere the same volume level as your other modules when they are set around 1:00. Did not work for me. The video clips on Salvation's site sound so awesome but mine did not do that for me. I was told there was nothing wrong with my module and that is how they work. Maybe Matt will show the settings when he does the side by side video.

Spencer4hire said:
My experience with the Camerica was it does not play well with other modules. You have to dime the volume pot on it to get it anywhere the same volume level as your other modules when they are set around 1:00. Did not work for me. The video clips on Salvation's site sound so awesome but mine did not do that for me. I was told there was nothing wrong with my module and that is how they work. Maybe Matt will show the settings when he does the side by side video.

I received a Camerica two days ago. I also thought that something was wrong with the module because in Gain Style positions 1 & 3, there was very little volume but in Gain Style 2, it's "normal" volume.

That said, the module sounds so freaking amazing that I don't even care about Gain Style 1 & 3! This may be the best sounding module I've ever owned and it's certainly in the top two. I just can't believe how incredible it sounds.

I'm just blown away.

Isn't 1 and 3 the diode clipping modes?

I received a Camerica two days ago. I also thought that something was wrong with the module because in Gain Style positions 1 & 3, there was very little volume but in Gain Style 2, it's "normal" volume.

That said, the module sounds so freaking amazing that I don't even care about Gain Style 1 & 3! This may be the best sounding module I've ever owned and it's certainly in the top two. I just can't believe how incredible it sounds.

I'm just blown away.