Favourite Marshall Mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
I'm just curious, given the many Marshall styled modules out there, what your favourite and why?
What about your favourite Marshall Mod stands out?

JJ Dirt has moved to number one for me....I know it's a Friedman-based tone but it's very Marshall...

Second goes to Vishnu for overall tone from plexi to JVM...

If you want one that does all Marshall tones, look no further than Mashall+...

The choices are many but you can't lose with Salvation Mods's take on Marshallesque tone...

That's kind of why I'm interested. There are plenty of tones Marshall is known for, and from that there are several mods available.
Everyone has different ideas of what they consider Marshall tone.
To me it's always Ozzy guitarists from Randy to Jake E to Zakk.

I'm surprised to hear the Vishnu does Plexi to JVM. I thought it was purely Plexi to JCM, and the Mash-All is the go to for Plexi to JVM.

I've always said a KK mod would be sweet, or even a single channel ZW mod.

How does the Spawn compare to other Marshall mods?

Is it as stiff as the real thing, knowng Salvation, the 3 gears are probably like having 3 different preamps. Haha

audiomidijace said:
Salvation Rhoadie and Sacred Groove MK22 are currently my favorite Marshall mods. Although I have a JFM800 on the way!

Please report back on the JF800. That one is on my radar.

I have a JF Brahma that has been my #1 for many years now so that is favorite Marshall mod. I really liked the Jose side of the Mashall+ also.

The JJ is something that I really want to give a run through too so I have been waiting for some clips on that one.

Two mods that have gone off the map, that I'd really like to hear about; the SG Bully and the Voodoo Jose.

They looked sweet, but we're so few and far between.

buriedorburned said:
Two mods that have gone off the map, that I'd really like to hear about; the SG Bully and the Voodoo Jose.

The Bully....Is awesome...The mods listed above can cover it but it is pretty damned nice...It may actually see a re-release soon as well as many SG mods...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysz9U8geAX4

buriedorburned said:

I remember when I was playing the JF Grailtone and SG Bully back to back. The JF did more of the Cranked plexi EVH thing better. Probably a more versatile too. The bully was cool though- somewhere in between a Jose and JMP.

What about the Shiver?
I know Bogner mods, like the XTC's have had Plexi switches in the past, which likens to Marshalls. But does the Shiver follow along those lines, or is it more like a Diezel or Fryette? Not in tone, but where it CAN do Marshall-esq stuff, but has enough of it's own thing going on tonewise to be counted as different.

The clips of the Shiver sound outstanding, crunchy, but not exactly Marshally.

buriedorburned said:

Is it as stiff as the real thing, knowng Salvation, the 3 gears are probably like having 3 different preamps. Haha

The Spawn is in the ballpark and I found it to be easier to play than a JF Brahma or JF Scary. It had more compression in the low end or something like that anyway.

The JF mods were more open and clear and forced you to play a little cleaner. Not better or worse but one may fit a different style of player better than the other.

buriedorburned said:

Correct, with each gear it is really like having 3 different amps. So, depending on what mood you are in can be set as such. Ideally I would like to have two of the mods and run one in 1st gear and one in 3rd. 3rd gear does get nice and saturated.
Like Matt said it is its own beast. When comparing it to my Marshall it just has a different "flavor". Its close to Marshall territory but with a little more bite like a Mesa. To my ears anyway.

My favourite so far for Marshall tones is the SM Camerock, super versatile from crunch to high gain. Saturated sweetness on all levels of gain and a lot of options for tweaking the sound.

Other great modules below:
The SM Rhoadie and JF 59RR are also great and covers a lot of ground.
The SM Salvado and the JF SL-OD100, same as above.
The SM Mashall+ was voted to be the best SM mod earlier this year and covers "all" Marshall tones.
The SM Buddy does not really have the TYPICAL Marshall mid but it is somewhat similar and are one of my overall favourite modules.

You also might consider the original Egnaters that can sound great. (SL, SL2, EG 3/4, EG 5)

I see that the XTC mods have been mentioned. I have both the SM and the JF XTC mods and to me they are more in the metal area and I have problems getting them to sound like Marshalls unless I use external EQ.

Trial and error is the way to success.

Have you played both the Rhoadie and the 59RR? How do they compare?
It looks like their both based on the same amp, but heavily modded.

I've owned both. For me the 59RR was a good module and the Rhoadie was a GREAT module. Strangely the 59RR was one of, if not THE most popular mod in Rob's stable. Where as I've only heard of a small handful of people ever owning the Rhoadie. There were a few different versions of the 59RR, but all of them were very different from the Rhoadie's feature set.

As mentioned above the modules are different both in build and options however I have never run them back to back.

I like them both but maybe the Rhoadie is better I haven't had it for long since I recently bought it from audiomidijace(Thank's for the deal J). I have a single Rhoadie and a dual 59RR so more options here and also hard to compare when there is different setups on the two modules. The Rhoadie have the blend/ cascade and the Riot/ Rhandy Rhodes switches that I particularelly love.