clean module... twintone and superpro

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
thinking of sending in my blackface for a mod. my main issue is that it distorts white-noise-ish when i whack the strings hard (fender cabronita, tv jones classic plus in the bridge). this is with me running the master wide open and using the gain as volume control. just changed the stock tung-sols to jj's as the module started crackling and hissing at me - i read about the CF issue just before.

i want my clean module to take pedals well (in particular a muff), and for me to crank the master, adjust volume with the gain, and still have it stay glassy clean when i whack the strings (or at least slightly distort nicely). think the start of cherub rock. if i can get decent dirt out of it, bonus! my blackface's dirt is disgusting.

so questions are:

1. how different is the jf twintone to the stock blackface?

2. what's the EQ diff between superpro and twintone? in particular, the midrange.

3. can i set up the superpro as i described? kind of like the idea of having a module that i can use for both pristine and old-school rock. plus the simplicity is appealing.

4. how do the twintone and superpro compare for loud cleans?

thanks guys/rob :p

The one visible in the video? That was a one-off custom Rob built for somebody; wouldn't be representative of his current Vox based product.

I have the super clean and the superpro the clean is just that, either JC 120 style clean or fender spank clean. Pristine either way, more than enough head room, I never used boost pedals with it so cant comment on that aspect. The superpro is a different animal. The superpro is clean and FULL of body. As soon as it arrived and I put it in my RM100 , and played the super clean went to back up status. Now I do not record but play live and the superpro is nothing short of incredible. THe super clean was the best clean I have ever had, actually a little more versatile than the pro but the pro is just incredible! Can't go wrong with either one.

1. how different is the jf twintone to the stock blackface?

Quite different actually.

2. what's the EQ diff between superpro and twintone? in particular, the midrange.

There are no parallels between the two. They use entirely different tone stacks and have entirely different controls for the EQ.

3. can i set up the superpro as i described? kind of like the idea of having a module that i can use for both pristine and old-school rock. plus the simplicity is appealing.

Yes and the beauty is in the simplicity.

4. how do the twintone and superpro compare for loud cleans?

See previous comments from others. The Twintone would be closer to the Super Clean in the last comment.[/quote]

NakedInTheRain said:
i want my clean module to take pedals well (in particular a muff), and for me to crank the master, adjust volume with the gain, and still have it stay glassy clean when i whack the strings (or at least slightly distort nicely). think the start of cherub rock. if i can get decent dirt out of it, bonus! my blackface's dirt is disgusting.

My familiarity with Smashing Pumpkins is casual at best (so casual that I started to type "Pilgrims" there instead of Pumpkins :lol: ), but here's a little something I threw to together for you.

https://youtu.be/chVHvuv8Ogo

0:00 - 0:50 Cherub Rock (sort of). JF Superpro with gain at 9 pm and master cranked, boost switch off. MXR Zakk Wylde OD for distortion.

0:50 - 1:55 Cherub again, this time with gain cranked, boost switch on, master at noon. No pedal, I'm just rolling the volume on my guitar from 6 to 10 and back again.

1:55 - 3:18 That "despite all my rage" song, as best I recall it. Same settings as the second Cherub above.

Guitar is a 2008-ish mexican Tele 72 Deluxe I bought NOS a couple years ago. Still has the stock pickups and 250k pots nobody likes, plus the same gunky set of strings it had hanging while on a store wall all that time.

Obviously tossing a camera on an ironing board isn't going to give the most flattering or accurate representation of the tones, but I personally think the string whacking sounded much cleaner and crisper with the module pre-gain up and the post-gain and guitar vol down than it did with the master cranked and the pre-gain down. Also preferred the Superpro's dirt to any of the pedals I threw in front of it. (Wylde OD, DS1, TS-9 +, Cusack Screamer... definitely not a thorough or scientific sampling).

thanks iekobrid for the videos! great demos. superpro sounds amazing!

also rob, when i asked about the diff between the twintone and the blackface, i knew there was a difference, otherwise you wouldn't offer the mod. i wanted to know what i would notice if i had them both in my rm100 and was switching between them.

iekobrid said:
NakedInTheRain said:

My familiarity with Smashing Pumpkins is casual at best (so casual that I started to type "Pilgrims" there instead of Pumpkins :lol: ), but here's a little something I threw to together for you.

https://youtu.be/chVHvuv8Ogo

0:00 - 0:50 Cherub Rock (sort of). JF Superpro with gain at 9 pm and master cranked, boost switch off. MXR Zakk Wylde OD for distortion.

0:50 - 1:55 Cherub again, this time with gain cranked, boost switch on, master at noon. No pedal, I'm just rolling the volume on my guitar from 6 to 10 and back again.

1:55 - 3:18 That "despite all my rage" song, as best I recall it. Same settings as the second Cherub above.

Guitar is a 2008-ish mexican Tele 72 Deluxe I bought NOS a couple years ago. Still has the stock pickups and 250k pots nobody likes, plus the same gunky set of strings it had hanging while on a store wall all that time.

Obviously tossing a camera on an ironing board isn't going to give the most flattering or accurate representation of the tones, but I personally think the string whacking sounded much cleaner and crisper with the module pre-gain paris shuttle up and the post-gain and guitar vol down than it did with the master cranked and the pre-gain down. Also preferred the Superpro's dirt to any of the pedals I threw in front of it. (Wylde OD, DS1, TS-9 +, Cusack Screamer... definitely not a thorough or scientific sampling).
this video is much joking