Just got an RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roodyrocker

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just stumbled on this forum today and it is quite timely for me as I just recently picked up an RM100 head. Previous to this I heard the Egnater amp at the NAMM show the last couple years and read about the Randall. So Now I'm giving the RM100 a try and I have a few modules on the way. In the meantime, can someone here tell me what the major difference between the Egnater and Randall amps is, if any?
Do the modules sound the same between the Egnater and Randall amps or are there differences?
Thanks!

Congrats and welcome.
Egnater stuff is all hand built in the US while the Randall stuff is not.
The egnater modules sound more "organic" to me. The randall stuff seems alittle hotter on the gain as well.
Just my personal observations.

Thanks. I knew the Egnater stuff was hand built but I didn't know if both amps and modules have basically the same circuits in them.
Next thing I was wondering is if these modules actually do sound the same as the amps they claim to be based on. As I stated before, I'm waiting on a few modules to arrive to try them out so I don't know yet. The sound clips on Randall's website don't sound full through my laptop speakers so I can't go by that. When I bought the RM100 head it had two modules with it, Ultra and Ultra Lead (I bought the amp and modules used). The Ultra Lead module wasn't too impressive but the Ultra was good.

Rudy

The modules are different. A Randall version of say. the Recto doesn't sound like the Egnater Erect. They do have similarities in overall sound, but they are different. I have tried all the Egnater modules and most of theRandall versions as well. Most of the modules do a good job of getting very close, but they are still an interpretation of the original. From my own side by side listening they are close. The Randall XTC has the overall vibe and tone of the Ecstacy red channel, but it is not a dead ringer. Same with the Marshalls,Fenders and the Rectifier's. However, in most cases I feel that the modules give a great overall tone, sometimes better than the original, IMHO.

I have been running an Egnater Mod 100 with the older single channel modules along with a Randall RM100. This setup gives the best of both worlds. The Randall head sounds a little hotter and a little more compressed than the Egnater, but both sound awesome!

BTW, good to a see another Northcoaster on the boards...

Thanks Muudrock. I actually own a Mesa Dual Rectifier but I wasn't planning on buying the Recto module for my RM100. I figured I don't need to replicate a tone I already have :) Right now My RM100 has the Ultra and Ultra Lead modules in it. On the way are XTC, Plexi, Blackface, and Brown modules. My band does lots of 80's hard rock covers and I plan on using the Randall for our next gig.
Yeah, you're not too far from me. Basically about an hour away plus or minus a few minutes.

I noticed the Randall modules kinda sound like really good versions of the real amps. The 1086 sounds like a killer Recto or Bogner. It's different, there are tones that you hear on a CD and tones you get live, but the 1086 has a really polished and great tone, no matter how it's set. Although let me say I've only played on that module for a minute or two today. They all seem to sound better through the RM100, I would assume it's the EL34's and massive headroom. I have yet to hear the Egnater modules, but I'm probably gonna pick one up soon for the hell of it to check it out