Do We Really Need More than a 1x12 for Gigs?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EWSEthan

Reaction score
So Ive been thinking alot about this lately. I know alot of guys like to gig with 2x12s or even 4x12s, but is this really necessary? As long as you have a speaker that can safely handle the wattage your head is putting out, do you really need anything more than a 1x12 for your gigs?

We play pretty small rooms and I never get to crank my amp so Im seriously thinking about downsizing to a single 1x12 cab. The Egnater 1x12 I played through at the NY Amp Show had a big sound in a pretty small package.

I mean, if the soundguy is always going to mic me at low volumes, what do I need a big cab for?

-Matt

It's definitely macho but lugging 4x12s around is ridiculus,especially if your gonna mic it. Egnaters 1x12 is a very nice unit,and the pic of that MOD on top is GAS stricin,I see 1 no 2 of those in the future,back friendly and they sound great!AAAAAHHHHH! :D

I agree. I played way too many gigs with a Marshall 4X12. It sounded and looked great, but the beam of sound that comes out of them is hard for you to hear when you are 4- 8 ft in front of your amp. The tone is peaking out at about 10 - 15 ft away, approximately at the 2nd row of tables in the club. Let's face it, for the most part, gigging musicians like us play in smaller venues. At one point I took the bottom 2 speakers out & baffled up the cab and had a very large, awsome looking 2X12 in a 4X12 box. I went to 2X12 about 10 years back and have never regreted it. I have tried 1X12, but didn't get the same coverage. You also have to factor in your bandmates. Just because you have figured out that a 4X12 may be a bit much, doesn't mean THEY have LOL!

Eganter 1X12 looks enticing. I beleive Mojo makes a cabinet extremely similar (over sized, ported, semi open back) also. A 1X12 allows you to crank the master volume up and get better power tube contribution as well. I'm still stuck on my 2X12 because I just have not noticed enough difference to justify loosing 1 speaker. Big difference going from 4X12 to 2X12 though.

Also if you are micing up a 4X12 and think the sound man actually has you in that mix ... :wink:

If you are running through a PA and have a good monitoring system, then yeah, big cabinets are probably overkill. But if not, then you may need a 4x12 just to hear your own playing....especially if you play with an extremely loud drummer.

I would say that depends on what style of music you're playing, and how high you need your stage volume to be. In a coverband, with decent sound reinforcement, anything more then a 2x12 is overkill in my opinion. I actually like a pair of 1x12's even better, because you can angle one of them toward you if you have a hard time hearing yourself. It's especially nice when you have a rack setup, like my M4/20:20 combo, because you can turn up the volume a little louder on the cab facing you. Now if you're playing something heavier.... I say go for it.....there's nothing like a 4x12.

I'm in a coverband, with decent sound reinforcement... and I use a 4x12. I like the sound better than a smaller cab. I run two mics with it - 409 and an SM57, and blend the two. And yes, I'm in the main mix.

Pete

I'm using to custom buit oversized 4x12s with emis,govs and private jack mix,they sound huge and killer,but it's way to much,I've got one that I run with the m4 in stereo.I had the XL cab with vin 30s but got rid of it after I built these 2 monsters.....

I use my Mod50 112 combo with 6V6's on the 5 watt setting exclusively. Have an amp stand that angles the amp towards my head. Band mates can hear it and the stage is big we just put a little guitar in the monitor.

Last night while auditioning singers (and that is whole story itself) we were just using POD's through the monitor system and it sound good.

Even when I used my RM50H and a 4x10 cab it was with 6V6's and the volume at 10 oclock.

I would have to say that 2X12 has a lot more headroom and punch, especially with the low end. Mids seem to cut better too. I've tried using a lot of 1X12 in the past and never came across one that I was happy with. For home use, 1X12 is more than sufficient, but for other applications, I really feel 2X12 is the way to go.
BTW Just absolutely love my MTS 2X12 with V30s
T.

Needs ~vs~ Preferance

I love the sound of a 4x12 and a 2x12 for me that means Lynch Box or Koch... both weigh close to 100lbs per box... I'm sure a 1x12 is all you need or for that matter a POD thru a PA. For years it was a Soldano HR50 and a marshall 4x12 slant cab... not much lighter.
As long as I can carry them it's a half stack or a 2x12 combo strictly because to my ears they sound better.
But on a need only level you could get away with a much smaller 1x12 or even a emulater, or something like the Koch Pedaltone... wish I never sold that one.

Khing

I think we could all agree that ... 4X12 cabs look and sound great and your amp always looks way better sitting on top of them! :lol: But, if the question is "do we really need more than a 1X12?" and I think the answer is no, probably not. The microphone cannot tell the difference a half inch away from your speaker whether there are none or 3 others surrounding it. It all depends on the band and situation. If I were still playing the heavey stuff some of you guys are playing, yes I need more because i NEED to look the part and be part of the band. We all will not agree on this one for sure. I just care about tone the greyer my hair gets, so EFF it! :lol: I punished my ears and back for too many years with 4X12's. No more.

BUT, they look so good at one point I considered getting one and gutting it. Then pull the back off and angle a Marshall 2X12 up like a monitor so it would look normal from the front but really it's a 2X12 slant monitor. Would that not be cool?

BUT, they look so good at one point I considered getting one and gutting it. Then pull the back off and angle a Marshall 2X12 up like a monitor so it would look normal from the front but really it's a 2X12 slant monitor. Would that not be cool?

I can't see how anyone would know the difference.....I just hate lugging around a 4x12, otherwise I would be using one too.

It's open back, not sure what the size of the 112 cab is so I can't compare.

in all seriousness, i play in a well known metal band in cleveland and we only play in the venues in and around the city,and anyone of them will make you sound like a million dollars if you brought good amps, but when junk bands show up with combo amps and crappy equipment evreyone just laughs at them and they always sound terrible. i mean there's only so much the sound guy can do, plus depending on your time slot you might not get the p.a. juice that a band towards the end of the night will get, so how could you go on stage with a 5 watt amp. if you want to rock out with your cock out get a 4x12 or better yet get 2 4x12's. i do understand what you are saying, i mean you 're only micing one speaker but you can't go on stage with a 1x12 and keep your dignity. there's a guy on this forum with 16 2x12 cabs, he'd be the one to ask

maximus1 said:
in all seriousness, i play in a well known metal band in cleveland and we only play in the venues in and around the city,and anyone of them will make you sound like a million dollars if you brought good amps, but when junk bands show up with combo amps and crappy equipment evreyone just laughs at them and they always sound terrible. i mean there's only so much the sound guy can do, plus depending on your time slot you might not get the p.a. juice that a band towards the end of the night will get, so how could you go on stage with a 5 watt amp. if you want to rock out with your cock out get a 4x12 or better yet get 2 4x12's. i do understand what you are saying, i mean you 're only micing one speaker but you can't go on stage with a 1x12 and keep your dignity. there's a guy on this forum with 16 2x12 cabs, he'd be the one to ask

16 2x12s!?!?! Holy hell! Load in and out must be a b*tch!

Maximus , I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion here.
ANY soundman who knows how to do his job will/ can make many a 10watt 20 watt amp sound like a stack .remember if your miked HE is controling what the audience hears through the mains .I know from personal exp that a guy playing an 18 watt Budda has killed a 100 watt Marshall stack Ive also heard a VOX tonelab sound like a stack in the mix .
An 10 watt amp miked Properly and DIALED in property through a descent PA will sound 50 times better than an unmiked stack .Furthermore the stack will be so loud it will ruin your stage mix. Small amps will do just fine .If your talking about looks and cool factor and really want to heft in 4 cabs .just do what Priest and EVERY metal band has done ..bring dummy cabs

Like I said...metal or heavier music requiring that much low end and stage volume are a different story. The type of music I'm talking about has little to do with "dignity" and everything to do with entertaining people and giving them something to dance to...they could care less what you're playing through. Much of it has to do with having "real" sound reinforcement equipment, there is a big difference between the $399 PA cabs you buy at guitar center and top notch pro level gear.