RG75G3 hum

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrywwc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

brand new to Randall Amps, received my first yesterday - RG75G3.

Anyway, when I turn it on, there is a hum at about 50Hz. I'm in Oz (240V / 50Hz) so it appears to be 'power related'.

Hum is there even when nothing is connected, not even the footswitch, and all controls are set to '0'. There is a "Ground / Lift" switch on the back. The hum appears not to diminish in either position.

It is 'less noticible' when I am playing, but in quiet passages, it is definitely still there.

Any pointers / suggestions? Or is this DoA?

kind regards,

Harry

I am having same problem with my new RH300G3 with matching 4x12 cab.

I bought it less than two weeks ago and it was humming pretty much as soon as I got it home. I took it back to the shop and they were not getting the hum at all!

I think mine is power related, I think the best way to test is to take it to a friend's house in another suburb which I am trying this week.

I have tried changing all cables and moving the half-stack to diff rooms in my house but it doesn't make any difference.

BTW, I contacted Randall and they advised I return it as it "could be caused by a variety of mechanical faults"... but like i said, the shop was not experiencing the problem.

Hi Rasweb,

thanks for your reply - I appreciate it.

I've already tried the 'go to another suburb and test it there' bit ;'/

My church is about 20 mins drive away, so I am pretty sure that it is in the amp itself, and not related to 'dirty' power.

I mean, I expect "some" hum from the equipment, I just didn't expect it to be audible at about 12 feet away - one of the vocalists complained about it :'(

{sigh} I know Randall have read my message (Read Receipt), but nothing else so far.

Thanks once again,

.h

Hi

That's disappointing to hear, considering this is my last hope (dirty power).

I Hope you have better luck with randall support than I did. I will post reply if I find anything else useful... Feel free to let me know if you have a useful response from randall support :)

Just an update,

I sent mail to both Randall and the distributor here in Oz - and of course it was a long weekend in the US - the story of the week so far :'/

Anyway, both got back to me and said that it sounds like it's 'dead' and needs to be replaced.

I contacted the store I bought it from (Venuemusic.com.au - plug, plug) and while I was seeking to have it repaired, they have insisted that it be replaced, will unpack one, test it in store to ensure no fault, and ship it to me, pick up the 'dud' and take it away.

Now, in the US you may expect (nay *demand*) service like this, but in Oz this is just mindblowing!. Service like this is almost unheard of in this country.

Pleasently delighted,

harry