Salvo 50R Vs Stonerverb? can you tell me the difference

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
I have the 50R and while I love this mod for it's cleans to edge of breakup sounds as well as it's saturated tones, it is a bit on the dark side.

The clips of the Stonerverb, especially the De Large version seem to get a very different flavor of Orange. It seems brighter and tighter yet still has that Orange buzz and deep sort of octave distortion.

Can anyone clarify this?

also, does it work well with pedals?

I love the 50R, just wondering what to do with my last donor...

Hi, I can help with this....The Stonerverb definitely carries that darker tone with it but having said that, it has some sparkle to it if you dial it in...It always maintains the classic Orange vibe but is more modern in its tone to my ear...Stonerverb has GOBS of gain to boot....Most have a clean channel which is useful....

I have both the 5OR and the delarge. Love them both but the stonerverb is in a league of it's own. You get anything from a sweet saturated marshall'ish crunch to very high gain saturated heaven. On gain settings between 12 to 3 and master the same it is incredible touch and volume sensitive. I normally have mine on 2:30 for gain and 1:30 on master and with that I can play anything from almost clean to saturated leads. for rythm and cleanish I turn my volume down to 5-6 and then crank it a little for leads. With regards to the darker sounds I dissagree a little bit. You get what you dial in.

I've never used any pedals on it. There is absolutely no need for extra, It sounds heavenly already.

The Stonerverb is one my favorite modules so far and it is almost always present in my sounds.

You will not regret using your last donor for the delarge. In case you do I'll promise to buy it from you. I have already asked Antony for a dual one but that is impossible due to the stereo/dual gain pots in the module.

withmittens said:
thanks for the replies. can it be brighter than the 50R?

I don't remember how bright the 50R got and don't have one here with me to check...I can only say that you can add trebs to the Stonerverb but it doesn't make it less Orange or less "dark" in tone, if that makes any sense...It's just like a Rockerverb in every way...

Fully agree with Matt and you can add to the last comment ..and then some!

I am currently rebuilding my rig so comparing neck to neck can't be done just yet. Making cables, MIDI programming, checking routing, etc will take me a little while. I am probably finished by next weekend and can let you know then.

Thanks for that info. i look forward to hear what you notice between the two. My 50R is very dark. I do love it though and it could be that I mainly run 6L6. but in pairing it with another pre in the RM50 it is tough. Thinking the Stoner could be a bit brighter and punchy

Not yet finished with the rig but I could not help myself so as soon as I had made enough cables to make noise I stopped hooking things up and started playing.

I have now tested the 5OR, the Stonerverb De Large and the Graphic side by side and to my ears none of them are dark sounding. As said before the Stonerverb is by far the best sounding and versatile module of them all.

I also paired them up with the Camerock, Custom 3++, Mamba, Shiver, Buddy, Rockmod and OD-2.

The darkest ones are the Mamba, Shiver, Rockmod and Camerock if you tune it dark.

My setup is: EG4's into a line mixer to line level out, in to a Switchblade and then out to Marshall EL34 50/50, then to 2 x 1x12" 300w EV12EVH Speakers.

Hope this will help you decide.

Thanks for that report. I have no idea why my 50R is dark sounding. maybe I need some brighter tubes. I remember the Groove Tubes 12ax7 were very bright but I think they;re just picked through JJ's? not sure

Do you feel the Graphic and the 50R are similar, can the Graphic do more?

****, I really wish I had posted an all Orange mod review that I sent a couple folks via PM, lol.

I've had all of the orange mods besides the AD...

Stonerverb - Definitely the more 'modern' mod. Sounds quite similar to a real rockerverb. IMO, a 'thicker' cranked Marshall plexi tone - in the lower mids specifically. Cleans up nice with the 'clean' channel switch. Even more clean marshallish there, IMO. Great pedal platform on clean/light od, and takes OD pedals very well on both clean & dirty side. The least 'fuzzy' of the Orange mods. Definitely the most versatile mod - a great choice for a desert island mod... Similar to the JF RVerb, except the RVerb wins for me since its distortion is noticeably more 'interesting'/harmonically rich.

50R - More 'vintage' sounding, but not as much as the Graphic. Also very versatile, nice cleanish pedal platform at gain less than noon. Above noon and it goes from nice thick mid gain to just brutal death/doom metal by 3 o'clock. Mine lives at about 1 o'clock, nice vintagey mid gain, and just hit with a good OD pedal and it just cranks. IMO, nothing in mts crunches like the 50R. As I saw on a demo video for an OR100, the 50R's crunch/distortion is like corn flakes, while most others are like sand. It can get really nasty in a good way, like a Moog Minitaur/Taurus synth... The stonerverb is definitely 'smoother' in this regard. While I have never demoed them myself, I find the 50R to sound more like the OR100, at least based on YouTube demos...

So, hope that helps...

Btw, only V1 tube I have gotten along with in my 50R is a JJ. Keeps it from getting too harsh... But, I do play Tele's so that may be why.

I've taken to using the 50R on the 6L6 side of my RT2/50 and this brings the brightness i was looking for while keeping what I love about the mod.

and yeah, Corium_AZ, it does get all those tones, although I don't get the tightness but could be my playing style