Entering the MTS world

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesman11483

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for advice on modules...
Hoping to use minimal stomp boxes out front (Wampler compressor and Eventide H9 and tuner...hoping that's all)

Playing a dirty old Les Paul Jr. with the vintage P90.

Looking for 4 pretty distinct amp sounds...I'd love cleans like an old orange and a good fender sound...maybe a bassman?..then something with a decent natural overdrive, then something for dirt...thinking Foo Fighters/Hinder.

Hoping to go direct through a Brick tube DI? Or is this ill-advised?

Advice please!!

Welcome.

My suggestions would be these:

Vintage Orange: Salvation Mandarine Graphic
Vintage Fender: Salvation Baseman or Twinface
To round out the tones you seek I would also recommend Salvation JJ Dirt and DreadPlate....

:)

Definitely have to agree with fig on the Graphic. It's a great mod, and really the only 'vintage' orange mod available anyways. Doesn't do cleans too well though IMO.

As for fenderish cleans, you have lots of options, all of which are very good. I have a JF Twox, which is awesome clean (the bassman side), there's the JF Superclean which is aptly named, and the JF VybeDeluxe. The Vybe covers everything from spanky fender clean, to beautiful complex lo to mid gain, and even great marshallish high gain if you hit it really hard with an od out front. Oh, and the Vybe takes FX pedals out front better than any mod (or amp for that matter) that I've ever seen. Amazing mod, and I and many others here highly recommend (I use mine for low, mid & high gain, just using pedals).

For higher gain, there are myriad options & your just gonna have to start trying them. The Stonerverb & JF Rverb are really good, do it all kind of high gainers, but so too is the Mash-All, the various XTC mods and many others. My advice, just start trying them, you'll find what your after eventually.

As for just using the pre to a DI, I don't personally like it at all. I've yet to find anything to put after a pre other than a power amp, that sounds right. But, many disagree with me here and like running straight to whatever modeler/DI they prefer.

Good luck and welcome to the sickness!

Corium_AZ said:
Definitely have to agree with fig on the Graphic. It's a great mod, and really the only 'vintage' orange mod available anyways. Doesn't do cleans too well though IMO.

As for fenderish cleans, you have lots of options, all of which are very good. I have a JF Twox, which is awesome clean (the bassman side), there's the JF Superclean which is aptly named, and the JF VybeDeluxe. The Vybe covers everything from spanky fender clean, to beautiful complex lo to mid gain, and even great marshallish high gain if you hit it really hard with an od out front. Oh, and the Vybe takes FX pedals out front better than any mod (or amp for that matter) that I've ever seen. Amazing mod, and I and many others here highly recommend (I use mine for low, mid & high gain, just using pedals).

For higher gain, there are myriad options & your just gonna have to start trying them. The Stonerverb & JF Rverb are really good, do it all kind of high gainers, but so too is the Mash-All, the various XTC mods and many others. My advice, just start trying them, you'll find what your after eventually.

As for just using the pre to a DI, I don't personally like it at all. I've yet to find anything to put after a pre other than a power amp, that sounds right. But, many disagree with me here and like running straight to whatever modeler/DI they prefer.

Good luck and welcome to the sickness!

Good suggestions....

And FWIW, my Mandarine Graphic has a 3 way gain switch (on former bright switch) instead of two way which allows it to get cleaner...Anthony would likely do that for anyone else too for a small upcharge. It's quite worth it and gets some nice cleanish tones in a very vintage voice...It's my perfect module!

The Salvo 50R also does cleans fairly well. they are punchy and vintage sounding. the gain can be dialed in to a light crunch which still remains vintage or can be full on Doom. set cleaner with a boost is ideal for many types of Orange tones

Twinface can't be beat. C-Watt is aggressive and vintage as well. Custom settings are more modern, big tonal sweeps as well with that one

withmittens said:
The Salvo 50R also does cleans fairly well. they are punchy and vintage sounding. the gain can be dialed in to a light crunch which still remains vintage or can be full on Doom. set cleaner with a boost is ideal for many types of Orange tones

Twinface can't be beat. C-Watt is aggressive and vintage as well. Custom settings are more modern, big tonal sweeps as well with that one

+1 on the 50R as well. I had one for some time and really enjoyed it. It kinda rides a line between vintage & modern sounding though so if your really looking for vintage orange ala OR80, the graphic nails it. If you want a more versatile module (meaning, without having to change anything on the module itself like switches or whatever, since that's not practical in a live performance setting), then the 50R takes the cake. IMO, of course. Won't be disappointed with either...

I've not had the pleasure of trying a twinface, but heard nothing but good things. From what I have heard, it is very similar to the Vybe in terms of versatility & prolly voiced very similarly...

I know I'm rambling here, but whatever, lol.

One thing I should emphasize, is if you have that H9 (I had one), you can run whatever fx you can think of, no matter how deep/dense, into the FRONT of the Vybe, even along with heavy OD/Dist & even fuzz, and it holds together perfectly. Just like its in a really good fx loop (which mts does not have, lol). My Twox displaced it from its #1 clean slot, but it is irreplaceable due to this ability to consume fx. I use a TC Nova System & TC Nova Drive for fx, all into the front. There's nothing I can throw @ that Vybe that it doesn't handle beautifully. No other mod I've tried comes close to being able to do that. No idea why, it just does. And given my fx are all midi programmable (like the H9) I can get infinite versatility out of that one module... I'd love to know if the twinface can do the same, because if so, I'll buy one in a heartbeat, lol.

Thanks for the responses guys!
I was checking out the Salvation Mods page...is the Humble OD a fumble esque module? If so, anyone with experience with it?

wesman11483 said:
Thanks for the responses guys!
I was checking out the Salvation Mods page...is the Humble OD a fumble esque module? If so, anyone with experience with it?

It is a Dumble mod, but I do not have any experience with it. A couple folks here do tho and have posted about it. A couple clips up on the mts FB page as well, btw.