JF VX30 Opinions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homiefud

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Rob's newest take on the AC30?

I'm looking to get a Vox mod soon. And I'm curious about the VX30. Is it a fairly good representation of the original? How does it compare to the Voxless or the Egnater VX? Or even the MatchVox?

not sure if this will be very helpful but after talking with Rob you may not want to forget about his new Chieftain mod, can get very voxy but also plexi-like. From what he's told me that mod is one of his favorites to date.

I know I can't wait to order one. I just have a lot of projects I'm accomplishing right now aside from just my MTS amps.

Retubing and new speakers in my limited edition AC30, fender pawn shop amps, setups/pickups on a few guitars, etc.

I will say though as one who owns and has played vox amps (including the AC30) for many years that while some of the mods are close to the real deal none of them are quite the same (likely differences in tubes, speakers, cabinet constructions, power amp differences, etc). So just some food for thought to keep in mind.

That's not the first time I've heard that. I wonder why that is. Many of the modded modules are spot on. Or at least 95% there. But reviews have always but just short of awesome. Not enough jangle usually being the case. Followed closely by not enough mids.

In all honesty, I've never plugged into an AC30. But I play a lot of covers. And would like to get closer to some actual tones used by known AC30 users. And the great thing about MTS is easily being able to capture a multitude of tones. So I'm just trying to get peoples opinions on what might do that best. I own an Egnater VX. And it sounds awesome. But as many have stated, it doesn't have much in the jangle department.

I've been eyeing a MatchVox or a Voxless for a long time now. And when Rob announced he was discontinuing the Voxless, I was saddened. But then he came out with the VX30. I was very curious and hopeful. But he hasn't done any clips for any of his new mods yet. In fact, all of the clips at his site are unavailable, as of this posting. I know he has been doing great with his amp repair business and is extremely busy. And that's fantastic. It's just hard to pull the trigger on something you haven't heard and no one is talking about.

As far as the Cheifton goes. It sounds interesting. But I've got plenty of Plexi-like possibilities at the moment.

Figured I'd chime in here on this... I've had a voxless, twice, just trying my damndest to get 'that' typical AC30 tone. I've plugged into a couple AC30's and have always enjoyed them. The voxless, IMO, doesn't come close, at least through my RM100 and 4x12. Same goes for the Vox setting on my Twox. I really do think it's all about the power section, speakers & cab.

That being said, I just took delivery of a JF Chiefton (maybe the first in mts forum land?) yesterday. I did get a chance to mess around with it a bit last night, but only for a half hour. I can say though, it seems to nail 'that' Vox/Matchless tone right on the money! Now, it was only for a short time, so I'll hold off on any real 'review' type deal until I've gotten some real time with it until sometime later this week or next weekend. But, as it stands, I'd definitely keep it in consideration. Basically, with the mids cranked, it does get rather marshallish (but still a bit different), and with the mids down (say, 9 o'clock) that's where it gets very Vox-ish, more so than anything I've tried in mts as of yet...

I'll post a review of some sort soon.

As mentioned here, there are currently no demos for any of the series 2 modules. The repair and amp modification business has really taken off and has only grown busier with the opening of our storefront last month. The module business is still active, but no longer our main bread-and-butter. That said, all of the modules are currently in capable hands and demos are being produced for all of them. It should not be much longer and I apologize for the delay. There is only so much time in a day and so much to do!

SpitfireMusic said:
I will say though as one who owns and has played vox amps (including the AC30) for many years that while some of the mods are close to the real deal none of them are quite the same (likely differences in tubes, speakers, cabinet constructions, power amp differences, etc). So just some food for thought to keep in mind.

I pretty much agree with this comment - 4xEL84's does not sounds like 4xOctal tubes, say in an RM100. Plus AC30's normally run through Celestion Alnico Blue speakers (which are 15 watts output each).

I've often wondered if running yellow jackets with EL84's in an RM amp would get a lot closer (or maybe a RM20/22), I'm guessing yes but I still think you would need a 4x12 with Celestion Alnico Blues in it, which would only handle a 60 watt input - boy that would be expensive too :)

I'm not sure if this helps, but I thought the old Twox module sounded very vox-like- At least for voxy cleans.

well if it helps out at all most Matchless amps are very vox-like.

The original Cheiftain amp was basically a Class A running EL34 tubes. So basically think mostly vox except running the stouter power tubes you'd typically find in a Marshall style amp. I wouldn't really say that it nails a 100% vox or marshall tone just that it gets you in those types of camps.

Depending on which MTS amp and cabinet you are running through (and what tubes) could probably help determine how Voxy you'll get.

I think the Celestion Cream/Gold speakers would probably get you closer to the camp of Vox since they have a higher power handling. Though because of this better power handling they will likely be a touch warmer/smoother than the real Blue. Honestly the Blue speakers in an open back cabinet is a big part of the AC30 tone and feel, on that amp it's definitely a combination of all the parts.

I'm actually speaker shopping for my AC30 I think I've settled on the type of speakers ceramic G12H with 55Hz cone and an Alnico Blue (so I get that typical vox jangle and chime but I also have a touch of smooth, fat, warmer tone while still staying in the vintage tonal realm). Just can't decide if I want Celestion current production, Scumback, Weber, or Warehouse Guitar Speakers too many good options available.

The Rossness said:
I'm not sure if this helps, but I thought the old Twox module sounded very vox-like- At least for voxy cleans.

I have a Twox and it is a really cool module I am definitely a big fan. I'll likely be adding the Cheifton and ZRx here to my collection soon along with the Superpro.

Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE my Twox! I just use it in its bassman mode tho, as the vox mode just seems too scooped and lacking presence, by comparison to the tweed side. I would venture to guess that in an rm20/22, and through appropriate speakers, it'd prolly nail it. I've heard as such here on the forum (about all the vox modules). I've considered getting an rm20 just for that purpose and just pop it on top of my RM100, and just run two amps. But, kinda defeats the whole purpose of mts for me, lol.

In any case, as rob says on his website about the Chiefton, "The original amp was Class-A and tube rectified. We sprinkled a little magic on the power supply to help give it that feel." I can definitely hear/feel that in the chieftain running in my 2xel34, 2x6L6 RM100, as its very close.

I've got an RM20 combo. Maybe that would make a difference. Although it has a Greenback in it.

Rob, thanks for chiming in. The description for the VX30 on your website says you modeled it after your personal AC30. Could you tell us what aspect(s) of it that you were trying to capture?

BTW... I am LOVING the Silverado you just built for me!

I put el84's with Yellow Jackets in my RM50 amp for use with my Vox mod and got much closer to the real sound. Then switching cabs to a different 2x12 that is both bright and throaty (Creamback 65/ Fane clone) got me closer. I always felt the sound was there but the tubes and speakers were holding it back.

I don;t know about the JF vox circuits but mine needs the treble down to about 10 o'clock as this pushed the mids toward the front.....the bass at around 3 o'clock and the cut all the way up (brightest on mine) to get anywhere near the sound. Gain needs to be somewhat low and mains up loud to get the tubes hot. the gain seems to start going over into Marshall territory when up too much

I am really curious about the new JF AC30 mod, too.

I just scored an RT2/50 where I'll do one channel with the yellow Jackets and see. this amp sounds much nicer than the RM50

homiefud said:
Has anyone tried Rob's newest take on the AC30?

I'm looking to get a Vox mod soon. And I'm curious about the VX30. Is it a fairly good representation of the original? How does it compare to the Voxless or the Egnater VX? Or even the MatchVox?

I recently demo'd 13 of the 14 Jaded Faith Series 2 modules (unfortunately, the JFM800 was damaged in shipping). Rob's work has always been exemplary, IMO, and these new modules raise the bar even higher. Simply put, they're all amazing in their own right.

As for the VX30, it's absolutely stunning, IMO. I've tried a few other Vox modules in the past but they really didn't sound or feel like a true Vox AC30. This model is spot on and extremely easy to use.

In Top Boost mode, the module is very clean and "jangley". It has that "British" clean tone that can be heard from The Edge or Blur and even somewhat "Beatle-ish". I recorded it with my Warmoth Strat with a JB Trembucker.

Full Mix: www.mikeplas.com/jadedfaith/cfm/rebeljack-vx30-fullmix.mp3

Mono Guitar: www.mikeplas.com/jadedfaith/cmm/rebeljack-vx30-monoguitar.mp3

In regular mode, the VX30 sounds killer. It's got all the gain needed to pull off Indie Rock, Classic Rock and good ol' Rock & Roll. It has that "Mid-Forward" tone, just like a real AC30 and just slays.

Full Mix: www.mikeplas.com/jadedfaith/mgfm/jaggedstone-vx30-fullmix.mp3

Mono Guitar: www.mikeplas.com/jadedfaith/mgsm/jaggedstone-vx30-monoguitar.mp3

I used my typical setup to record which is an RM100 head with 6L6's>Bogner Cube w/Celestion Lynchback>Mojave FET 201>Vintech x73i>DAW. No EQ was added or subtracted. This is the true sound of the amp.

I hope this helps! :D

Thanks Mike! That is a big help.

Will you be doing more tracks using the other Series 2 mods?

homiefud said:
Thanks Mike! That is a big help.

Will you be doing more tracks using the other Series 2 mods?

Glad to hear it helped!

Yes, I've recorded every Series 2 module, many of them in different genres to show their range.

I'm sure that Rob will have them on his site in due time. In the meantime, if there are any modules you or anyone else would like to hear, I can start a thread with links to all of the tracks.

Thanks for the upload Mike I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Z Rx and the Chieftain as well as the superpro.

Honestly I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide between two mods from the new series to fill in my RM50 head.

I'd like one to be cleanish and the other to handle mid gain type stuff.

I'll put together a thread with links to all of the modules and ask that it be stickied. Would that be cool?

Also, why am I not receiving notifications? Is it a setting that's been disabled?

Thanks so much Mike this is incredibly helpful and I like that you put them in the context of a mix as well as soloed.

Still a toss up for me but it's definitely helping me narrow down my options.