Do you guys put boosts in front of your MTS amps?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unearth

Reaction score
Do you guys ever use a boost pedal in front of your MTS amps?

I have a RM4 and like having my Maxon OD808 to give my tone a little more attack.

hells yes.

right now I'm running the Bogner Blue pedal into my Duoplex, C-Watt to push them from light crunch to bigger crunch. The complexity of the tone jumps by quite a lot.

I've used a Keely modded Blues Driver for a while to get a brighter boost, I keep the gain near zero on that one. It can be used sort of like a treble booster

I used to have a FET pedal based on the Orange OR100 that gave my cleans a rich bite when wanted, I tend to use the break up of the clean mods now alone

I find that boost pedals, or distortion peals with the gain set low and the volume set high can do a number of great things to my tone. pedals with a full tone stack are great because they can match your mods tone settings or push them in a different direction

I use boosts as well....Mostly clean boosts with a touch of grit...The Salvation Tonewheel pedal is by far my fave...I have Keeley modded screamers, Kasha pedals, Stigtronics Tone Vitamin (Klon clone) and others....I got the Tonewheel about a month ago and have been nothing but floored in the life it can bring to a module...Salvation Pedals are as awesome as his mods and when paired together= magic...

Of course... Honestly, I don't think I'd be in mts if I didn't. I just simply can't rely on just three tones, which is where I'd be (excepting dual mods) were it not for OD's. Why would anyone use a mod just for itself? I mean, for instance, with my Vybe deluxe, I can get a nice rich spanky clean, great thick edge of breakup, complex mid gain, and a pretty **** convincing crunch and metal tone, all just hitting it with differing amounts and types of OD. That's why at this point I literally run three 'clean' modules, and get all my OD tones via pedals. And, I for one, have yet to get a better OD tone from a mod alone than one affected in some way by an OD out front.

My personal favorite, due to literally endless versatility and excellent tone, is my TC Nova Drive. All analog OD & Distortion (these are separate, and can be run in series or parallel), but it is digitally programmable. So I can, and do, have a different setting for each module and each guitar. It's the perfect compliment to mts since it is midi programmable/switchable.

I use a Cusack Screamer V2, Suhr Shiba Reloaded, Suhr Koko, MXR Classic OD, Cool Cat Trans OD, or a MXR 10 band. Each for a different flavor.

Mattfig said:
The Salvation Tonewheel pedal is by far my fave...

Dang it fig. I didn't know that these existed so I went looking. All sold out.

I might have a bit of a boost problem.

Visual Sound Double Trouble

or

Suhr Riot

or

EHX soul Food

or

EHX Lumberjack (my secret weapon pedal)

The Camerock takes pedals REALLY well :D

I'll soon be doing a review of the KHDK Ghoul Screamer which is the perfect compliment to any MTS amp and beyond...The thing has toggles beyond imagination offering not only boost but compression, and eq...

We'll also be stocking them at MotorCity Mods very soon... :)

Mattfig said:
I'll soon be doing a review of the KHDK Ghoul Screamer which is the perfect compliment to any MTS amp and beyond...The thing has toggles beyond imagination offering not only boost but compression, and eq...

We'll also be stocking them at MotorCity Mods very soon... :)

Sweet...pedal looks very cool, can never have enough boosts or WAH pedals in my collection! \m/

I think I finally found my Boost after a year of searching!
http://wamplerpedals.com/product/tumnus/
Wampler Tumnus.
This thing sounds amazing in front of every module I have! :twisted:

audiomidijace said:
I think I finally found my Boost after a year of searching!
http://wamplerpedals.com/product/tumnus/
Wampler Tumnus.
This thing sounds amazing in front of every module I have! :twisted:

I always thought a Klon circuit might be right for me. I could never choose from all the options. maybe this be it?

I saw a shootout video on you tube between two actual Clons and like 5 copies. I thought the Tumnus was the best sounding pedal on the board!
It did not disappoint. What's different about it is that it adds some low mid girth for warmth rather than adding high mids for cut. The tone knob provides a good amount of sparkle though. I really enjoy playing through it.

Here's a clip running the Tumnus with my rig.
Dry fist then boosted with my 4 current channels.
A little neck pickup high gain lead at the end.

https://soundcloud.com/jace-nuzback/tumnus

Over the years I have discovered I am definitely a boost guy.

A nice clean boost in front of a mid/high gain amp gives me the tight chunk I like.

A few mods have gone enough gain to emulate that (Jaded Faith's 1959 RR for example) but I like most of my modules/amps boosted.

For the the best mod ever produced by Randall is the 1987. Sounds great on it own. Incredible Marshall JCM 800 copypcat. Sounds even better boosted.

I have effectively 5 'boosts' on my board between two pedals.

CMATMODS Super Signa Drive (TS-style OD & clean boost)
VFE Merman (klone)

The pedals are side-by-side so I can step on the Merman & Signa boost in one stomp

They sound great into a JF 59RR in JMP mode set to just breakup for rhythm, and a JF ODS for lead. I don't use either through my clean channel. Not on all the time but will kick them in and out during the set, depending on how I'm feeling, the sound of the venue, if a section or song needs a bit more cut or grind.

This is how I figure I have 5 boosts between these two pedals
1. TS side of the Signa Drive. Good with neck single p/u for a hot bluesy tone on the 59RR. Pushes the 59RR into hard rock territory with a bridge bucker.
2. clean boost on Signa Drive. Pushes either channel harder
3. TS + clean together. Good for lead through the 59RR
4. Merman. Nice thick tone through either channel
5. Merman & Signa boost together. Another flavour for lead through the 59RR

I never use Merman + Signa TS as it gets too noisy. And Merman + Signa TS + Signa boost would be bedlam ;)