MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixed Power Tubes Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
op1e
RM20

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Mixed Power Tubes Question Reply with quote

The guy that fixed my last two amps keeps sniping at me about impedance mismatch when using 6550/6L6 in the RM100 I took to him. I've told him multiple times Bruce designed these amps to do this. He's old school but does have a degree and 30 years in the industry. When I got the RM100 back there was a note saying I had 2 different types of output tubes and it was not recommended. I asked him "well how do you explain the Renegade 65?" He didn't have a response for that. He's set in his ways.

Moving forward, I just added a Vengeance to the arsenal. The RM was bought by my other guitarist (he loved it so much). The tubes in it were factory and horrendously bad (tinny sounding). I wanna run EL34L's and 6550 (maybe KT88 in it. Eurotubes is my trusted source, I'll email Bob on this too. They offer a matched KT88 quad that are drop in for 6550, but they don't say anything about mixing them. The RM100 did zap and pop a fuse when it went down, but I think its cause there was so much condensation on it (literally wet from heating a cold room up quick). Anybody run one of these amps in this manor, or just all matched sets?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Other Egnater Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: