EL 34s

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
This may be a foolish move on my part, but what are your favorite EL34s and what do you avoid? I am usually a fender style 6L6 guy, but my RM50 with the EL34s needs new tubes and I was curious what you folks think. Best vs. Worst?
thanks in advance

I've been using SED 'winged C's' for some time now. IMO, they are the best sounding EL-34's, not counting vintage tubes of course. They sound great clean, have a powerful but controlled bottom end, complex chewy distrtion and great classic crunch. I personally run a pair of these along with a pair of TAD 6L6-GC STR's in my RM100. They compliment each other wonderfully.

I had a couple caps and a resistor fail in my RM100 a couple weeks ago, leaving me with only one pair of usable power tubes (running at 50w). I spent a week with just the 6L6's and a week with the EL34's. I would be happy with either if I had to choose!

I guess that openness is something one needs to experience first hand? I will definitely invest in some. Is the bias pretty much the same?

ricky said:
I guess that openness is something one needs to experience first hand? I will definitely invest in some. Is the bias pretty much the same?

Open to me means more clean headroom...I consider 6550s to be the most open sounding and EL34 more compressed....

Bias is the same as EL34....

Hope that helps!