Mod50 with two modules - but which?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mod50 being sold by Franne500. He was listing it with 3 modules - V/X, SL2 and EG3/4. I can't afford 1500 euro's for all three modules though so he has agreed to sell with two. I was going to go for the V/X and SL2 as being the most versatile over the three. I assume the V/X can do a cleanish sound? Do you think this is a good choice? I have quite a few Randall modules also including a Deluxe so can use those but of course then I'm down to just one channel. Decisions, decisions.... :)

I think you made a good choice.

From memory the VX channels are gainer than you'd expect but Ch A can do a an edge of breakup clean with the volume dialed back on guitar....but it's still a little sparkly or gritty, hard not to love the Vox chime though :)

I think your DLX will be cleaner.

The EG3/4 compared to the SL2 has a darker, smoother sounding gain...I actually used to really like it but hard to beat the simplicity of the all out Marshall goodness of the SL2.

There used to be a ton of good demos on YouTube...VX starts at 0:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--YOyvwPDGc

Welcome to dual channel madness! \m/

Thanks for the info JKD. Unfortunately I've run into a snag. I had a plan to build my GSP1101 into the back of the head (it will fit in an RM 50 head) but it turns out the Mod 50 has a slightly less tall case than the RM 50 and the clearance is not enough. I'd just assumed they would be the same. So not I'm looking for an RM50 head instead and will have to forego the dual channel madness. :(

I was going to say get the VX and the EG3/4, then do the 'X' mod to the EG3/4.
Reason is, IMO, ChB of the VX can do the British/classic rock sound, no problem. VX ChA can do CLEAN clean, if you want, on up to light overdrive.

Then EG3/4X would give you two channels of a tighter higher gain.

Not to dismiss the SL2, just that the EG can go further if you're pairing with the VX.

BTW - I also have that dual Eg3/Eg4X Bucksears mentioned and agree it is very nice....cuts thru the mix very well.

Cheers!