which 2x12 cab ?????

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir riff a lot

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 2x12 cab to go with my RM100

I am thinking about the mesa recto 2x12, is anyone else using this cab?
I want a good bass thump with power chords, but overall just a nice sounding rock/metal cab.

anyone using the randall 2x12 ? how does it sound ?

Cheers

I've used a lot of different Mesa and Marshall cabs, but my favorite for the RM100 is Randall MTS 2X12 w/ V30s. Nice big bass response, sweet mids with some nice sag, but the really cool thing about it is the cab really breathe.
Nice headroom and the Mic Eliminator feature on it is just invaluable for recording and miking live.
T.

I also use this cab and am very happy with it. However, I don't play metal, but classic rock and blues/rock. I replaced the stock V30s with an Emi Wizard and a Private Jack. And the Mic Eliminator is very helpful.

I have a Mojotone cab 2x12 they are excellent for bass response because of there size and shape. Most 2x12 cabs are rectangular i.e. Mesa, Marshall, Avatar. The Mojo tone 2x12 looks just like a Marshall 4x12 just smaller check it http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=62898&pg=44972&id=4000145 yep that is a 2x12 spealers are diagnol. DO not let the price throw you. Find Port City Music at http://www.portcityamps.com/ ask them about the mojo cabs they sell them much cheaper (I think mione was like 295.00 shipped).

Just load it with what every speakers you want for metal I suggest 1 v30 and 1 75 or lead 80.

Later

+1 on the Mojo. I have one too Tele and they ROCK. I would not by any means look past the ever popular Marshall 2X12. These are VERY good speaker cabinets. The Randall with the speaker em circuit is hard to beat too. I like to by my cab empty and load it with whatever I want. I also agree with Tele about the Eminence stuff. Really good. For metal V30 would do. I have a freind who has a Boogie 2X12 Recto with V30. My Mojo and my Marshall both sound much better IMO.

i use an avatar with g12t-100's and you could probably play bass out of it, the 100's slam out and i don't think you could ever hurt them. they are big brother to the g12t-75, but with 25 more watts per speaker and a slightly darker sound. no ear peircing highs or shreiks like the 75 or the v30

Tele & 3 Mile: What does one of those Mojo cabs weigh when loaded with something like Vintage 30s?

For a big, full sound with lots of bottom, I think you'll find that nothing beats the Genz Benz G-Flex 2 x 12 cab. Sealed back, front ported... I have one and just love it. I've been playing for 30 years and I'm too lazy to haul around a 4 x 12. And with the G Flex, I don't need one.

http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1409&sid=419&cid=93

One reviewer writes:

The sound with this cabinet is the best I've used in 25 years, hands down. I also have a 1974 Marshall 1960 Slant 4x4 with vintage original 16 ohm 25w Green Back Celestian speakers (that's right, all original) and this Genz Benz out-plays the 4x4 easily for crunch, tone quality and of course weight!!

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Genz+Benz/G-Flex+George+Lynch+Signature+212+Cabinet/10/1

This cab was a George Lynch signature/endorsed cab until he signed on with Randall.

gb_212gflex_sm.jpg

thanks for the responses,

Caine, that Genz-Benz looks to be the schnizz !!
I checked out the prices and they are about half the price of a mesa 2x12
too! (in Australia)

I'll be trying that sucker out soon for sure.

I'll let you know how I go

I bought mine used but almost new off of eBay. I'm in the States so I'm not sure what kind of luck you would have finding a used one. With shipping, my cab came to around $400 US which I thought was a great deal. I'm thinking about having it covered in green gator to match my Lynchbox.

I like the Egnater 2x12. It is oversized, so it sounds bigger, about like a 4x12. It is 12 ply birch and closed back. They were originally planning to go with ported, and I even tried out one of the ported prototypes. But they found the closed back with no porting actually sounded bigger with more bass.

It is really heavy. I can pick it up by myself, but my back is sore for a week afterwards. But I'm not that strong.

I think it retails for around $800-$1000, depending on the speakers you have installed.

Did anyone ever get an explanation as to why Egnater's cabs dont have the mic eliminator Bruce designed for Randall? Is it because Randall actually owns the design?

The Genz Benz 2 x 12 is 62 pounds. I believe the speakers are supposed to be modeled after the Celestion G12t-75. It retails for $729.00 on Musicians Friend but sells for $579.00 but on the Zzounds website, they are saying the retail is $699 and selling them for $559.95 right now. You can snag them used off eBay for $350-425 range although the shipping will probably be $50-100 depending on where you live (if shipping within the U.S). I bought mine used off eBay. It was only a few months old and I got it for around $425 including shipping. I've been playing for 30 years and as far as being happy with this cab as an alternative to a 4 x 12--I could not be happier. I am curious as to how the cab would sound loaded with a pair of Celestion Vintage Centurys which would lob off another 10-12 pounds--the Vintage Centurys have better bottom then the regular G12 Century. Prior to using the Genz Benz cab, I had been using a pair of front ported Thiele 1 x 12's loaded with EVM speakers--also a nice alternative a 4 x 12 if you want a big sound in a small package but the G-Flex cab out performs them on the bottom end. As far as getting a big sound in a smaller package, really, it's the front side porting that makes it happen. The problem though is the beaminess of the speakers that results from the Thiele cab type design. Genz Benz resolves this problem with the flexed front design. From their website:
This dynamic 2 x 12" ported guitar cabinet is designed for monster tone and performance. This unique design features multiple ports and a flexed baffle. The porting produces a punchy low-end crunch, while the FLEXED baffle reduces the boomy interior standing waves and increases the projection of our GBE 1240-V75 speakers. The result is a huge sounding 2 x 12" cabinet with rich, distinctive tone, which can out-perform many 4 x 12's. Wired for mono or stereo operation.

Power Handling
RMSMono: 150W
Stereo 75W / side
Mono: 4 ohm or 16 ohm
Stereo: 8 ohm / side

Frequency +/ 3db
60-5K Hz

Weight Lbs

Dimensions
21" x 30" x 14"

Finally got a cab guys !!!!

I ended up getting the Genz Benz G-flex 2x12 , I had to order it and it took a few weeks but it was worth the wait.

This cab is awesome !!! I love it

Thanks for the advise again.

I really like my G-Flex also--very happy with it. It's a very good match for the Lynch Box.

I did however, just buy a pair of Celestion G12 Century Vintage speakers to replace the ones in my G-Flex cab. The ones that come with the cab are modeled after Vintage 30?s and they sound good but with the back problems I?ve had, I will be able to lob off about 12 pounds or so by swapping out the factory speakers with the Century Vintages. I haven?t swapped them out yet, but they are supposed to have very nice defined bottom end with vintagey warm mids and highs.