MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Played my new RM100 and not digging it. Any suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Egnater / Randall Modular Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
op1e
RM20

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried running the modules with the volume at 3/4. Honestly, the only thing I can say is the were a bit more crisp. No big deal. I went back to running them at half volume and my master volume higher so I could use my amp models from the 1101 on a different bank. At least with my amp they were lacking bottom end running them that way. The gain being down that low wasn't worth any trade off in the other direction. Maybe my head being an earlier one is different.
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing different about your head op1e

IMO w your current gear this is just what you're going to get. In other words tweak it all day, at the end of the day it is what it is.

I run my rig a bit different (and so do most of the guys around here), and most of us have other gear that you don't have.

Like I said before I have an 1101 too, but after a week of screwing around w it (several years ago) the only reason I still own it is the speaker emulation. I wouldn't use it for amp modeling or for effects. To me it just sounded really mediocre. In the end I found it was subtracting quite a bit from my tone. It had to go. It was hard to get myself to take it out of the rig. I had a lot of hope for it when I got it LoL. I tried the new FW, and the old FW. Setting it up 50 different ways.. blah blah. ...but, if it didn't do the speaker emulation, it wouldn't be in my house right now. Some guys use that GMajor. I wouldn't have one of those in my rig either. I'm a bit of a snob though lmao

I bet your rig is probably OK sounding, but with what you have and how you have it set up, it is what it is.

Just play your guitar Smile

..but a quick note. I run most of my volumes about 1-1:30 not 3-4, but the point is you have to get them past noon. Before noon something gets lost.
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel and Master volume balance is a matter of taste but I don't usually go below 12 o'clock on my channel/module volume

Can always try the old trick of jumping the parallel effects loop and then using the Effects blend knob on the front to add a bit more juice.

I like the extra little bit of warmth it adds....I set mine around 1 o'clock.
SG - Diablo
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
Randall - Scary, Grail, SuperV
op1e
RM20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Tippy wrote:
Well... my opinion is that where I see this conversation going ends with me redesigning your entire rig for you LoL. So.... since I don't have time for that.. ;.

Excuse me???
My rig is fine with any of my other heads. The RM is known for a crap loop and was just asking some questions. Maybe be a little more eloquent and not run down other people's gear. Love the 1101. In our out if the loop with my switcher makes no difference and with the 8 years I've had to dial in models I can fool any tube snob. But I'll just play, fella.
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

op1e? Seriously? That was 2 weeks ago I wrote that comment. Not sure why you want to pick a fight over that. Kinda silly.

FWIW, The RM doesn't have a "crap loop". The RM just has issues playing nice w some effects. Once you figure out how to work the loops in the RM properly, they're actually pretty decent. The 1101 is probably actually able to handle being in the RM loop better than a lot of other effects processors. That being said the 1101 was a good idea, but they released it before it was ready. That guy tried to fix it, but even that hacked fw has a lot of issues. If you think it's awesome, I'll sell ya mine for the right price so you'll have a spare.

Anyways...
op1e
RM20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt_Tippy wrote:
Nothing different about your head op1e

IMO w your current gear this is just what you're going to get. In other words tweak it all day, at the end of the day it is what it is.

Some guys use that GMajor. I wouldn't have one of those in my rig either. I'm a bit of a snob though lmao

I bet your rig is probably OK sounding, but with what you have and how you have it set up, it is what it is.

Just play your guitar Smile

Sorry/Not Sorry. It was the above that irritated me the other day on a long crappy sick overtime for 2 months straight no sleep kinda situation, and I hadn't even really noticed the other one till then and it seemed like I was on blast and was taking passive aggressive shots. I wouldn't have said anything normally but ya gotta see it from my perspective. Seemed petty. I'll bow out.
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started out wanting to try to help you, but then I thought.. maybe I won't take you down this hole. ...just go play your guitar and stop listening to me. You keep talking to me and its going to get expensive. ...but, No need to "bow out" LoL
JKD
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a rat-hole....just for basic FX I can remember changing all my stuff around to match the +4dB loop of the RM stuff....never really had another issue with it, it;'s tube/driven and nice sounding....but one heck of a hot signal.

Not to mention you get the choice of serial/parallel or both.

This is from owning 4 or 5 RM100s of all vintages, 3 RM50s..countless RM4s and M4s....

FWIW I *hated* the sound of my first RM100.....the presence and density controls practically useless and the am overall so boomy / not tight.

Just trying to share useful stuff, I'm a shitty hack player but lots of time on these amps.

For a basic tone improvement:

1. you should definitely try jumping the parallel loop
2. suggest an MDA board
3. if you are getting fancy, look at changing the input cap/resistance..I lowered the coupling cap on mine/since prefer tighter tone and you can alter value of resistance in there to change the input gain a little....
4. Tube changes...after many years/swaps..I settled on 6550s for the RM100s and KT-88 for the RM50
SG - Diablo
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD
Randall - Scary, Grail, SuperV
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does a Morley line Level Shifter fix this?
SG, LP Std., Strat
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

withmittens wrote:
does a Morley line Level Shifter fix this?

It should....

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap fix, they're like $30
SG, LP Std., Strat
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

withmittens wrote:
cheap fix, they're like $30

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the morley but I'm assuming it's just a passive shifter, in which case some may argue than an active one will be a better signal, but it will work and solve the issue....

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
Capt_Tippy
RM100

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the 1101 doesn't have any issue with the levels and you don't need any kind of shifter... that's what I was saying. The loop (crap or otherwise) is not an issue with the 1101. The 1101 on the other hand has plenty of its own issues.
op1e
RM20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a TC Electronic Spark Boost and put it in my loop switcher for when I use amp models into the fx return. Its a handy solution and $50. When I hit the Control switch on my Control 2, it switches from Internal/External preamp and turns on the loop that the Spark is in. That way I cann have real amp and amp model within each patch without having to have a seperate bank for the models I like to use. And the great thing is, when I use a different head it just takes the turn of one knob to balance out levels.

Although I do have to say, I don't need it for the SL-X or my Peavey Ultra. There's no drop out in signal volume when I switch to internal preamp. But the RM100 blew up again so it's a mute point. I should have made the tech switch that power board out and not even tried to bring it home. This one has been more problems than anything I've ever owned.
Equalizing_Distortion
RM20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: follow up with RM100 Reply with quote

HI Tbone81,
Late reply to your late reply. I didn't get to check the bias before I sent this amp back to Guitar Center.

After my last post I took this amp to band practice and with enough messing around I got the ultra to sound pretty good. Over all there was some serious low end punch on all of the modules in a good way and the head is much louder than my other heads at the same volume settings.

Although I got some good sounds from all of the modules I was never able to dial in the right settings on the power amp side with the presence and density controls I assume one of the Jaded Faith mods would probably fix this. Compared to my Mesa Boogies the RM100 feels stiff and lifeless, I would really like this for re-amping in the studio but its not as much fun to play.

A year later and I am back to considering the Randall modular, so obviously I liked the modules although I was not that impressed by the head. I actually just got a free Mesa Boogie 395 power amp that sounds great, and I ran across my old posting because I was looking around for an RM4 to try and build up the modular rig that I would be really happy with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Egnater / Randall Modular Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: