More thump out of Mod50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtrlw

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am looking for advice on getting more thump and bottom end out of my Mod 50. I took it to band practice yesterday and primarily played my Salvation MarkUS module since the dudes in my band like to play old Metallica.

The sound cut through fine but lacked bottom end. I was paying through my Bogner V30 loaded 1X12 cube because I did not feel like hauling my Marshall 4X12 to practice.

I am seeking advice on whether the cabinet was the issue or whether I should seek thump and bottom end elsewhere. I do have some heavier mods that I will try next time (Benzin and Angel). But I am curious regarding other folks experience playing their Mod50 with a band.

Thanks,

gtrlw said:
Hey guys. I am looking for advice on getting more thump and bottom end out of my Mod 50. I took it to band practice yesterday and primarily played my Salvation MarkUS module since the dudes in my band like to play old Metallica.

The sound cut through fine but lacked bottom end. I was paying through my Bogner V30 loaded 1X12 cube because I did not feel like hauling my Marshall 4X12 to practice.

I am seeking advice on whether the cabinet was the issue or whether I should seek thump and bottom end elsewhere. I do have some heavier mods that I will try next time (Benzin and Angel). But I am curious regarding other folks experience playing their Mod50 with a band.

Thanks,

Do you have an MDA board yet?

My suggestions would be...

Try running your power tubes a little hotter.

The MarkUS has much more bottom than an Angel to my ears, so I doubt you'll have any luck w that. Also there's a "thick" Mod for the Mark that's pretty easy to add (if yours doesn't have a thick switch) that will give it a little more bottom. I really didn't like my MarkUS until I added that mod.

If you have the means, I'd suggest swapping out the V30 for an EV. The V30 is a good speaker, but its a little thin next to an EV.

Hope that helps.

What kind of guitar and pups are you using?

I say it's the cab. The other suggestions will help but the easiest answer is to pony up and drag the 4X12 out.

eyeball987 said:
I say it's the cab. The other suggestions will help but the easiest answer is to pony up and drag the 4X12 out.

3 more speakers won't add any bottom end. All it'll add is a bad back lol

That Bogner cube looks like a nice box. Dual ported, nice construction. If it has anything to do with the cab its that 16ohm V30. I'd swap it for an 8ohm EV. Or if ya wanna stay cheaper, maybe a Legend.

I wouldn't waste my time hauling a 4x12 anywhere but the curb.

Looks like what I needed was more high-mids to cut through the mix. I used my Mash-all+ yesterday at practice and it sounded great.

With the scooped v eq enacted on the MarkUS, the bass, drums and cymbals must have been eating up all of the remaining guitar frequencies. When I tried turning up the MarkUS, all I got was more annoying high frequency tones.

I though the Mash-all sounded ultra-bassy/boomy at low volume, but at band practice volume with all tone controls on 10 it didn't sound boomy at all. Just crunchy goodness.

gtrlw said:
Looks like what I needed was more high-mids to cut through the mix. I used my Mash-all+ yesterday at practice and it sounded great.

With the scooped v eq enacted on the MarkUS, the bass, drums and cymbals must have been eating up all of the remaining guitar frequencies. When I tried turning up the MarkUS, all I got was more annoying high frequency tones.

I though the Mash-all sounded ultra-bassy/boomy at low volume, but at band practice volume with all tone controls on 10 it didn't sound boomy at all. Just crunchy goodness.

Try that thick Mod for the MarkUS gtrlw. It's a really simple mod. There are a buncha freq's that the MarkUS doesn't let through. The mod lets some more of them through. It's just one cap. It's really simple to do. It'll make all the difference in the world.