Bogner

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am considering getting myself a real Bogner.
I already own Shiver, Fish, Ecstasy and Überschall modules. Does it make sense or do these module really nail the original?

Honest answers are more than welcome!

First off, no actual Bogner amp will give you ALL those tones.
But you might find that one of them gives you THAT tone and feel slightly more than the mods do.

I personally feel that the modders can give me any tone I desire, most of the time just as good as, and sometimes even better than the originals.
The components in a Bogner are going to far outclass that of any RM model, so that will help.

Do you honestly feel that one of your modules tones stands out to the others? Because that's the Bogner amp you'll be looking at....

I've owned an Uberschall, and that was cool, but no my fave high gain tone. An Ecstasy would be the obvious choice due to its versatility and legendary tone. Though I've always been partial to trying out a Shiva. My old Shiver module was killer, and I'm sure another is in my future.

Well, that's a little of my problem.
I personally played a Twin Jet which was fabulous. However, I won't be going this route because I want the classic Bogner tone.

I also love the tone of the Shiver module in Faceplate mode. But that is not available in the Shiva. So, it comes down to a Fish or Ecstasy.
I haven't played both and can only guess how the originals sound if the modules are dead on. Hence my question.

I know some modules are really close, others are not.
You can really mimik a Diezel, VHT or AC30 because of their power amps.
...or the dual EQ sections of a Mark series.
On the other hand, I feel there a fantastic Marshall emulations.

By the way, my Shiver has more gain and is less noisy than the SM Ecstasy,

As you mentioned, I'd definitely rule out the Uberschall, I own one of those and it does it's thing, but that's about it. Incredibly well built amp though. The Ecstasy won't hit that level of gain, but it will cover a lot of other ground.

Ulf said:
Hey everyone,
I am considering getting myself a real Bogner.
I already own Shiver, Fish, Ecstasy and Überschall modules. Does it make sense or do these module really nail the original?

Honest answers are more than welcome!

Check out this post:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=144295&sid=09093d5981146e8b0121991d732d70cd

I've been down this road many times. Still cant find anything to unseat my MTS rig, and I've tried about everything at this point. Only exception is Vox/Matchless (el84) tones. But, I've been told RM20/22 can cop these about perfectly as well... However, I really need good cleans as much as I do gain tones for my band situation. Best advice is to just buy a used Bogner via Guitar Center online. If you like it, keep it. If you don't return to your local GC. If you paid too much, return and buy one for less somewhere else. They really don't care. You just eat shipping (about $35). Fair enough for a test drive!

Corium_AZ said:
Ulf said:
Hey everyone,
Best advice is to just buy a used Bogner via Guitar Center online. If you like it, keep it. If you don't return to your local GC.

That almost undoable here in Germany. As good as no shop has a Bogner in stock. :-(

The I think you've kind of answered your question right there. If Germany isn't know for stocking Bogners, then stick with the MTS line for now. You're getting tonal options that far exceed anything else.

In between my MTS use (going on 8 years now) I've owned 4 Engl's, 3 Marshalls, 2 Fryette's, 1 Bogner, 1 Soldano, 3 Jet City's, 2 Peavey's, 2 Mesa's, 1 Fender etc....

Nothing, though a few have come close, gives me the tonal versatility of the MTS line.

I don't fully agree.
Of course, MTS is unmatched in its versailtiliy. But does it match the quality of the Bogner sound.

I can have 10 different Marshalls, but just one that sounds best.
Which Bogner did you own and which MTS module was as good as the amp?

Ulf said:
I don't fully agree.
Of course, MTS is unmatched in its versailtiliy. But does it match the quality of the Bogner sound.

I can have 10 different Marshalls, but just one like best.

It's probably worth getting Drew's perspective on this as I know he sold his Ecstasy after getting his JF XTC - now I think he said at the time he was only using the blue channel (mode?), but certainly the module nailed the tone he was looking for enough that he sold the actual amp :D

Ulf said:
I don't fully agree.

Well it comes down to personal taste. I've found the modular line to be versatile enough, that the real thing often felt restrictive.

I owned a Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet. Though I've never owned an Uberschall module.

My old SM Angel was as good as any Engl I've owned. The SM Pit Viper (Mamba proto) was a good as my old Framus Cobra. Sloando was as good as my old HR.

I came to this decision after I owned the Fryette Deliverance. It was a great amp, and totally unique, but I knew I could get it replicated well enough from the modders to satisfy my tonal needs.

Here's the post I created on this subject before :
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=21064

Ulf said:
Corium_AZ said:
Ulf said:
Hey everyone,
Best advice is to just buy a used Bogner via Guitar Center online. If you like it, keep it. If you don't return to your local GC.

That almost undoable here in Germany. As good as no shop has a Bogner in stock. :-(

Sorry, didn't notice that you're in Germany...

How about Thomann? They seem to be similar to GC in this respect? I've ordered a few things from Thomann, had a problem with one of them and they offered to take it back no problem. So, maybe try a new XTC (they don't seem to sell the Shiva) from Thomann, and return regardless if you like or not. If you like, try to find a used one on eBay or whatever.

Ulf said:
I don't fully agree.

I did find that my MTS rig matched, or exceeded the bogner tones. The feel may be another thing, but that's harder to quantify (and less important to me since I'm strictly a rhythm guitarist and lead singer, so feel is not really a consideration as I've got too much to pay attention to as is when playing with my band). As I said in that old post, the JF XTC got me so close to the Shiva's OD tones, I couldn't come close to justifying the expense. Was it exactly the same, or exactly as 'good'? I dunno, but it would have been an unfair comparison seeing as I didn't have a shiva module to compare. Whatever you do, be sure to compare to the equivalent mod before you drop the extra $2k or whatever on the bogner. If cost is not too much of a consideration, well, I'd say just get the bogner and live with it alongside the mts for a while. If the mts stuff just starts collecting dust, well, you'll know which one you like best!

Throw a Bogner Blue or Red pedal in front of your favorite Marshall Mod. set the gain on the mod fairly low and the tone fairly even.........adjust the pedal to taste

Instant Bogner

Thanks guys,

that's all valuable info. Indeed I also have a Red pedal. I guess, I should be fine with the mods I have.
It was just a feeling of "if this sounds awesome like this", is the original possibly even better.

@buriedorburned:
I loved the Twin Jet I had here for a test.
But the SG AFterlife is really fabulous. Didn't compare them side by side. But if you can get an Afterlife - take the chance.

webrthomson said:
Ulf said:
I don't fully agree.

It's probably worth getting Drew's perspective on this as I know he sold his Ecstasy after getting his JF XTC - now I think he said at the time he was only using the blue channel (mode?), but certainly the module nailed the tone he was looking for enough that he sold the actual amp :D

I did sell off my Ecstasy after getting my JF Dual Blue XTC module. Rob and I used to speak frequently and he knows the tone I'm going for. I tend to like pronounced mids and a looser bottom end, like my ladies. :lol: I only LOVED the Blue channel on that amp and having two Blues, paired with the Shiva clean he made me, I have the perfect four channel Bogner. I have since gone back to using a Blackface (Rob created dual) for my ultimate clean.

In a nutshell, it's all about what YOUR after. I think what Rob did to my XTC Blue is exactly what I was looking for.

drewiv said:
webrthomson said:
Ulf said:
I don't fully agree.

I did sell off my Ecstasy after getting my JF Dual Blue XTC module. Rob and I used to speak frequently and he knows the tone I'm going for. I tend to like pronounced mids and a looser bottom end, like my ladies. :lol: I only LOVED the Blue channel on that amp and having two Blues, paired with the Shiva clean he made me, I have the perfect four channel Bogner. I have since gone back to using a Blackface (Rob created dual) for my ultimate clean.

In a nutshell, it's all about what YOUR after. I think what Rob did to my XTC Blue is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you sir - great feedback :D