Salvation Terrier with EL34's or KT88

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
Salvation Terrier owners, have you tried your mods with either EL34 or KT88 setups?
I've owned 2 Fryette's (Sig X and Deliverance), and naturally the KT88's in my RM50 would be more accurate tonewise. But given that I have a few Marshall based mods, I'd prefer to keep EL34's in it.

..or am I really not going to notice it?

I haven't tried personally. But I have setup my RM100 with two KT88 and it sound differently but not better.
Also from what I heard, an amp designed for KT88 does need more than just biasing. The KT88 can also run on higher voltages and I am pretty sure, the Randall power amp will sound very different to a Pitbul Ultralead

I have a 1992 VHT Pitbull Classic, it's the same as an Ultralead without the EQ, and it uses el34's instead of kt88's. I think it sounds great with el34's. I found Svetlana el34's to sound best with it.

I have also tried two kt88's mixed with two el34's in my RM100. I wasn't too impressed with that combo as I really like the full on el34 grind, the KT88's just make it too clean.

The KT88's I tried were JJ's, perhaps the sovtek's may sound better, thats what fryette uses.

Just my two cents.

I got fully tricked out JF modded RM100 and I run EHX KT88 and Mullard EL34's - I like the mix, lots of bottom end and some mid grind from the EL34's - great for metal \../