RM100 - Hush 2X Noise Gate - Distortion in Series Loop?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryantabuteau

Reaction score
Pretty new to MTS stuff, and just trying to get a handle on my higher gain tones. I've got a Rocktron Hush 2X, which I normally put one loop in front of my amp (after any weird gain pedals) and the other into the series FX loop of the amp. I get a weird bad breakup sound (even on clean) when I have it turned on in the series FX loop. Given it's fine with it turned off (but plugged in), I'd assume the send/return of the loop is fine, no tube problems there. quiet signals don't cause the problem, but if I hit harder it breaks up badly. The Hush reckons it has a max input of +7dBu, which I would have thought could handle the line level series loop at +4dBu.

Have I forgotten something here? Happy to buy a new noise gate if that's the solution, but I'd like it in pedal format.

Any way of dropping the series loop output, if that really is the problem? Is it a tube driven output? maybe I can use a lower gain tube there?

And.... all I need to do is turn down the volumes on each module and turn up the master and all is good.

Not ideal, but certainly workable.

You probably just found your own answer bryan.

Rob does a mod to lower the volume in the effects loop and put send/recv pots on there, but in effect that's pretty much doing the same thing that you just did.

My rig is setup similarly, but I approach it a tiny bit differently. Stay on that track and you'll be able to get it sounding and working well.

I thought the FX loop was loud when engaging high gain modules and was experiencing weird feedback with decimators running in the front and in the back, Im guessing it had something to do with unity gain and my compressor doing something weird but since then I replaced a 12ax7 for a 12at7/ecc81(fx loop tube)and it helped a lot for my set up.