RM100 Preamp Tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TubeMan5150

Reaction score
Long time MTS user here, new to the forum (been playing MTS since 2004). I've never gotten around to changing the preamp tubes internal to the RM100 chassis (V1, PI, etc). Have multiple different mixes of preamp tubes on my Jaded Faith and Salvation modules supplied by these modders.

Have I been making a mistake all these years and should have experimented with changing V1 (at a min) at long time ago? :?:

Any suggestions what to try in V1 (12AX7) and the PI (5751)? Obviously there are a ton of choices (various brands, current production vs NOS, etc). It's a bit overwhelming. :?

Thanks for the recommendation Mattfig...now decisions, decisions, decisions....

Please others post what tubes (brand, etc) have worked well for you in your RM100 V1 & PI tube spots. I know tone is subjective but a least it gives me somewhere to start.

My favorite in V1 is a Ruby HG+. Tastes vary and I'm sure Matt's suggestion is a good one.

This is what I use *most* of the time. Except in my MOD50 combo.
http://www.dougstubes.com/ruby-12ax7-ac5-high-grade-1.html

I use a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in all my PI slots.

http://www.dougstubes.com/brands/sovtek/sovtek-12ax7-lps.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3s6-BRC3kKL_86XDvq4BEiQAAUqtZzNLjHqurMxKzfkuKN8FK76K1b_02eG5jhIlWfx8F5kaAuUG8P8HAQ

My favorite ATM is:

V1 Tung-Sol 12ax7

V2 JJ 12ax7 (ecc83s)

V3 (PI) Sovtek 12ax7LPS

I've tried 5751 in the PI and it seems lacking to me

Looking at Doug's site, their are options for balanced triodes & matched gain on pre-amp tubes. Some pre-amp tubes you could get both options and some you can only get balanced OR matched. What's the thinking on balanced vs matched vs both and what the tube is for (V1, PI, effects buffer, Modules - V1 & Cathode Follower)

Check thread for tube layout:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4186&sid=3259c408311f7b8496462767f325be40

IMHO, don't spend the extra coin on matched/balanced/etc. I spent the money and rolled through a lot of tubes; my ears can't tell a difference - just get good tubes that suit your taste.

Just to double up on drew's comment. Matched/Balanced is just another word for rip off. You rarely get what you pay for. They count on the fact that most people cant test them to verify they got what they paid for. If you're someone like me, and test the **** out of your tubes after they show up at your house, when I call them, and I'm like... "WTF?!?" They just say... Send em back, and we'll replace em. No "sorry for your trouble", no anything... rip off... If you find a place where you actually get what you paid for, the price is usually double... the thing is.. most tubes made these days don't have a lot of variance. I mean... there is some, but instead of paying the extra money for balanced/matched, you're better off just buying more tubes. More likely to get some good ones that way. ...and the best test for a tube is your ears. Good luck!

studio289 said:
Hopefully this doesn't hi-jack the thread, but it's kind of pertinent....
I think we can all agree matched/balanced is, for the average guy, not worth the extra coin.
But, how is the "low noise/microphonics" upcharge - especially with common brands like EH and JJ?
For point of reference, Tube Depot wants $4/tube extra.

"low noise/microphonics" is worth it for at the lest V1

Balanced on the other hand not worth it IMHO. Some like to have a balanced in the PI spot but I never heard the benefit, and in guitar It's good to have some asymmetry, it can add some good dimensions to the sound.

"low noise/microphonics" upcharge option seems to be only at Tube Depot. Can't say I've seen that option listed on the other major online Tube dealers like Doug's, Tube Store, etc. Hmmmm....

CrazyNutz said:
studio289 said:
Hopefully this doesn't hi-jack the thread, but it's kind of pertinent....
I think we can all agree matched/balanced is, for the average guy, not worth the extra coin.
But, how is the "low noise/microphonics" upcharge - especially with common brands like EH and JJ?
For point of reference, Tube Depot wants $4/tube extra.

"low noise/microphonics" is worth it for at the lest V1

Balanced on the other hand not worth it IMHO. Some like to have a balanced in the PI spot but I never heard the benefit, and in guitar It's good to have some asymmetry, it can add some good dimensions to the sound.

I'm thinking the point of the question was... "Are you going to get anything for your $4". Yes Russ?

I don't know if you'll get anything for your $4 or not, but what I do know is this.. The last time I bought tubes from the TubeDepot here's what happened (It's been maybe a year ago). I paid a junkload of money for what were supposedly some of their best tubes with every possible upcharge available at that time... The tubes I got were (as far as I could tell) just random tubes from a random box. Sooooo.... that's my experience with them.

Right about now I'm afraid to buy any tubes, cause some ******* is gonna piss me off and I'm gonna end up in jail LoL

Balanced/Unbalanced is like Honda vs. Harley. Some like Honda's and some like Harley's. If you want to mess around with that, I'd suggest buying some tube testers cause its really hard to buy them and actually know what you have.

Hmm, I've spent a lot of money with tubedepot over the years and had no problems, well I did have one but they were very helpful at resolving it.

As far as tube up-charges, if your expecting too much improvement you will be let down. I equate them to buying a new TV and the salesman is trying desperately to sell you on that $300 HDMI cable.

CrazyNutz said:
Hmm, I've spent a lot of money with tubedepot over the years and had no problems, well I did have one but they were very helpful at resolving it.

As far as tube up-charges, if your expecting too much improvement you will be let down. I equate them to buying a new TV and the salesman is trying desperately to sell you on that $300 HDMI cable.

I just expect tubes to test they way I pay for them to test.

Have you tested any of those tubes yourself? Or are you just assuming you got what you paid for? Cause this is my point.

Tone wise I don't expect much if any tone improvement from a balanced tube (for example) but I expect it to test balanced lol. I had one tube from them that tested (without getting too technical) 85%\105% I'm pretty sure that didn't happen in shipping lmao

...and yes they were "helpful" to me too, but it would have been more helpful if they would have sent me the tubes I paid for ;)

Moral of the story, buy extra tubes, and don't pay up charges. Good luck, cause tube buying is a crap shoot.

The last time I ordered from Doug's I splurged on matched sides on the Ruby HG+. A couple of the tubes I tested when they arrived tested worn. I emailed Doug and received this response, I dug up the old email.

"Hi Drew,

We guaranty our tubes to work in the circuit they were designed for, and to pass testing in the equipment we use.

Doug"

That'll probably be the last time I order from Doug's, not to mention a lot of them were not balanced very well. :?

drewiv said:
The last time I ordered from Doug's I splurged on matched sides on the Ruby HG+. A couple of the tubes I tested when they arrived tested worn. I emailed Doug and received this response, I dug up the old email.

"Hi Drew,

We guaranty our tubes to work in the circuit they were designed for, and to pass testing in the equipment we use.

Doug"

That'll probably be the last time I order from Doug's, not to mention a lot of them were not balanced very well. :?

Ya gotta love it!