Silverface vs blackface SL+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
I've picked up a blackface SL+, and haven't owned one since my old silverface back in 2008.

Was there some modifications done between the two? I could swear this model is waaay more ballsy than I ever remembered the silverface being.

I remember the silverface being good for early Ozzy stuff, but not exactly Zakk or later material. Now this blackface is REALLY heavy, even when I pull the gain know back to zero, there's still gain on tap.
Boosted it nails 80's / 90's thrash tones, it left my KH2 in the dust.

The SL+ was always the best of the Randall mods in my opinion. I'm 99.5% positive nothing changed on that mod but the faceplate. When I was a dealer I always ordered replacement Black faceplates and black chicken-head knobs and updated my stock. The chrome plates always looked cheap to me and got covered in fingerprints!

Yes some values changed

The tone stack on the black face went to the more beloved 33k/470pf which was the values marshall began using in 1968.

The silver face had 56k/250pf which was 1967 and below, and super bass values

A few other component values also changed.

Yes

c3 SF: 0.047uf BF: 0.022uf
c15 SF: 250pf BF: 470pf
r31 SF: 56k BF: 33k

few others too.

Absolutely.

The black face should sound more raw, aggressive, and tight. Does this sound like what you are experiencing?