Which Mark mod for IIC+ / IV tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
I think i miss my old Mark V25, I mainly used the IIC+ and IV modes. I out-right hated the Mark V mode.

Which of the modded Mark modules will best recreate those tone for me?

Salvation MarkUs
Jaded Faith Mark X
Jaded Faith MKC+
Gigmods Mark

buriedorburned said:
Gotcha! Is it as high gain as the Mark X was?

For example, can it do Dream Theater and Lamb of God?

I don't recall Mark X very well but do recall it had gobs of gain....This mod has a lot too but, to my recollection, not quite at the insane levels of Mark X...It's got a good tone that works surprisingly well for rock...Takes a boost well for the Dream Theatre tone too....

Ok, when I think Mark IIC+, I think Dream Theater, and for MK IV, I think Lamb of God.
I know the Gigmods nailed Dream Theater and the Mark X did the same for Lamb of God.
I heard the MarkUs has much more of a classic tone, better suited to old Metallica than anyrhing else. If I considered it, I would include things like a Recto switch or even the clean, as they're not what I'm looking for.

What's funny is when I had this made, originally a single channel version, I asked Trace to build a cross between a II & IV. He knocked it outta the park. My single channel is out there in the wild somewhere. It's a shame Trace doesn't mod modules any longer.

Mattfig said:
Both the Salvation MarkUS and JF MKC+ are very good....I prefer the MarkUS as it has more features, including a clean channel and recto voicing....

Matt, does the MarkUs cover Mark IIC+ / IV tones?
I was concentrating on the JF mods before, but next to my Marshall JVM, I'm thinking a Mark style module in my RM50 combo would be a nice contrast.
Forget the Dream Theater or LofG references I asked for, I'd just like it to be versatile and tonally represent what I miss about my old Mark V25.
I'm not interested in the clean or recto options, just the Mark crunch / OD aspects itself.

If you don't mind it being a dual channel the JF Mach X is a good option. I have both the Mark X and the Mach X and the Mach X has less gain and reminds me more of my old Mesa Studio Pre (based on mkIIC)

I can't have a dual in my RM50 combo unfortunately.

Right now, its a toss up between the JF MKC or MarkUs. I get that i can't really go wrong, just trying to make up my mind. I'll be coupling it with either a JF Twintone or SM Twinface.

buriedorburned said:
I can't have a dual in my RM50 combo unfortunately.

Right now, its a toss up between the JF MKC or MarkUs. I get that i can't really go wrong, just trying to make up my mind. I'll be coupling it with either a JF Twintone or SM Twinface.

Those 2 modules are night and day different. The MarkUS is really mid scooped and there isn't much you can do about it. The MKC+ is a one trick pony, but the thing is... it does the 1 trick the MarkUS can't so....

I just want a module that will cure my missing MV25 wowes. I mainly used the IIC+ and IV modes, that's what I want. Both look like they can deliver...

Well I've never owned one of those amps but I do own both of those Modules and I'm telling you they are completely different and sound NOTHING alike. Not even close.

ok, well that's both an advantage and disadvantage I guess.

You said the MarkUs is very scooped, even with the EQ V switch not engaged?

Which would you say is more versatile and has a better rhythm / lead crossover?

What are their comparative pros / cons?

I primarily use a Marshall JVM, and I have an RM50 combo that I want to have a different set of tones on, that will contrast well for another guitarist on jams / practise. I miss my old Mark amp, and think that tone would be the best choice.

The current JF MKC+ has been twice described as a 'one trick pony' and from the site description it appears to be a IIC+ with a heavier side. I'm currently leaning that way.

Well let's start w I love the MarkUS and I also really like the MKC+. They are both great modules.

I was never able to quite get the tone I was looking for out of the MarkUS though. It has a lot of great tones. I love the clean tone it has too (which the MKC+ doesn't have). I love it for what it is. Its very versatile and can get several different types of tones. I went back and forth w Anthony in some emails trying to see if I could get some more mids out of it. He said if I want more mids buy a Dreadplate or something. Hah. Which I now own, but that wasn't what I meant LoL. He gave me instructions how to add the thick mod myself to the MarkUS. I did that, and it def made it better and closer to what I wanted. I picked up a Gigmods Mark. That one is much closer to that sound I was looking for. I've had it for a while and I like it a lot. I picked up the MKC+ hoping it would maybe be somewhere between those modules. It's pretty much exactly like the Gigmods Mark. A little different, but close enough I should sell one or the other. I won't but I SHOULD Hah

The MarkUS does Metallica and it does some Extreme tones and etc. It does those tones spot on. It even does the Extreme clean tone. It nails the scooped Metallica Metal tone. etc. Its great.

The MKC+ does the sound that this Gigmods Mark does. I have put all 3 of those modules in the same amp and compared them head to head. The Gigmods and the MKC+ are very similar. I mentioned that to Rob and he seemed a bit irritated and tried to say "it was nothing like the Gigmods", but I don't know why. The Gigmods is a good module. ...and so is the MKC+. Not the same module, but they sound very similar.
https://youtu.be/VGAtrMeVn00
I call it a one trick pony because it pretty much has one sound. You can tweak it. You can push or suck the mids a bit to taste, but it is what it is so to speak. If you scoop the mids it gets close, but it doesn't nail that tone like the MarkUS does.

Have to say Pete nailed the it with the Mark Series..I had the prototype and the first production version...that I still have to this day....all of Pete's mods suited me down to the ground because they had great tone at low volumes (I play at home.)

I still have my MarkUS, that thing has balls for days....punch and aggression....though I never got a tone I liked without FX in the 'blue' voicing...

I found Robs version OK....perhaps better clarity than the Gigmods...but not enough that I wanted to keep it over the other two..totally personal preference.