SNY 1 with Dirty Shirley demo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
Guys,
I'm doing my final testing on the SYN 1 before it goes in to production.
Everything seems to be working great so far.
I did a quick recording of the Dirty Shirley module using
the DI output with speaker emulation. Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/jace-nuzback/syn1-test

Here's some notes:
The guitar is basswood with a maple neck using a set of Motor City Blackbelt humbuckers. These are vintage output PAF style pickups.

The first two riffs are using the Synergy/Friedman Dirty Shirley module
on channel one with the gain at about 3 O'Clock. The third riff in drop D uses
channel 2 with the same gain setting.

I play each riff 3 times. First is dry, then I add a Wampler Tumnus for a slight boost,
then I keep the boost on and add reverb and delay from my TC Electronic Nova System used in the FX loop of the SYN1. At the end of the last drop D riff I play a
little lead. Then I turn off the Wampler boost and play a little more lead. Just so you can hear that channel on lead with reverb and delay.

The first riff starts with SYN1 DI output with speaker/mic emulation.
Switches to SM57 in to an Aphex preamp half way through the riff
then goes back to the DI. This is just for comparison.
The other riffs all stay with the DI.

I'm using my RT2/50 Power amp with 6L6 tubes. Orange 4x12 with V30 speakers.
The mic is just off center of the speaker cone.

Any other updates you can give
New modules
Is the synergy line still going to be available
Shortly after NAMM

Not much in the way of Hype at the moment so close to NAMM
I am wondering if we are loooking more into spring
Summer now ?

Here's another demo:
https://soundcloud.com/jace-nuzback/syn1-test-ds

This is a 5 minute demo of the Synergy/Friedman Dirty Shirley module using the SYN1 chassis with the DI output using speaker and mic emulation.
It starts from a clean tone on Ch1 all the way to full gain on Ch2. You'll be able to hear to bright switch go on/off at the beginning. It was a bit too bright for me, so it's off through most of this demo. Every time I turn the gain up a bit and play I also roll back the guitar volume knob to try and get it to clean up.
The SYN1 also has a great SAG emulation that you control with a knob. The LED goes on as you turn up the knob and hit it harder. It actually works quite well. It's a subtle tone difference, but if you listen you can hear me turning the knob up higher and higher every time I turn up the gain. It certainly makes a BIG difference in the feel! It goes from very stiff to very loose feeling.
There's no creative playing here. It's just G-C-D at different gain levels with different pickup selections. I am using the TC Electronics Nova System in the FX Loop for some reverb and delay. No DAW plug-ins were used.

I'll say this, ALL of my modules sound WAY better using the SYN-1 than they do with my RM4! FX loop sounds better too and it's +4/-10 switchable.
The Synergy hardware is a BIG step up in quality.

The SYN-1 is a perfect addition to an MTS rig. You can leave your amp at the gig or rehearsal and simply bring your module/s home to record and practice.

You can also expand your RM50 or RM100 with an extra module! Or any other amp with a series FX Loop. I've tried it with MANY different amps and it works great! With the exception of Mesa amps. I don't know what it is with their FX Loops, but it won't work with them.

It's certainly a simple way to get a great direct tone for gigs where volume is an issue. It feels great to play too.

Nice, looking forward to a SYN-1 myself.

I thought the analog speaker sim sounded pretty good for what it is too (the only other analog speaker sim I've ever liked was the Marshall JMP-1's, preferring convolution cab sims instead).

Thanks for the updates!

so the Syn Direct starts it then you switch to the mic'd amp and back ?

The DI to my ears sounds way fuller , its a great DI if the whole clip is that

when I heard an audible difference for about 5 seconds it gets very nasal

gtr31 said:
so the Syn Direct starts it then you switch to the mic'd amp and back ?

The DI to my ears sounds way fuller , its a great DI if the whole clip is that

when I heard an audible difference for about 5 seconds it gets very nasal

Exactly right.
I'm really quite impressed with the emulation.
It's actually a pleasant experience to play through my studio monitors!
I've never felt that way with the Two Notes and the Suhr reactive load.
Those NEVER felt good and I still had to EQ the crap out of everything.
Even my Eleven Rack, which I think sounds great on recordings, isn't pleasant to play.
This thing feels and sounds great! 8)

I did it .has more gain than I remember a DS having cool though

I am guessing the Syn 1 /2 and 30 /50 heads all will have the same DI tone

I love that Drop D riff ,I was asking Steve the other day about DZL module and it appears they do have them

Any chance in new year you could do a quick one of that mod and drop D riff above on the DI

these sounds are extremely close to the DIY version done a few times around the forum. Really similar. glad i did it

also, comparing the two sounds on a good set of speakers one can really see what the Friedman circuit does with the Marshall sound. It seems to lessen the lower mids and low end and put a hump in the upper mids to bring the sound forward. this leaves it sounding a bit thin on it's own but perfect for forward guitar in a mix

I think Bogner goes the opposite, emphasizing the lower mids and then in later iterations adding the upper mids via switches.

anyone agree with this?