Fave clean and why....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
I have a number of great clean mods...For the longest time I always leaned on Twinface for the deep, round cleans I needed...It still is one of my faves....I also have Loneclean, Selma, T-Watt (A Customized H-Watt that Anthony helped me modify to make even cleaner), a Motor City Clean Mod, and The Cleaner built by CrunchBunch....

I now mainly play The Cleaner and T-Watt :)lol:) and use Twinface for more Crunch tones...The others I use for specific applications and always perform well...

What about you guys???? So much focus is on gain based mods that we often overlook some real gems in this dept...

I've got three, a Salvation TwinFace for the blackface Twin and Deluxe tones, a Jaded Faith Twox for clean tweed Bassman and AC30 tones, and a stock Clean. The stock Randall does particular things better than the Fender-esque mods, particularly effect laden tones.

edit: The TwinFace is the only one that sounds great with my Tele, Deluxe mode is perfect, bright switch off for the bridge and on for the neck & middle positions.
The Twox is great with the neck humbucker on my SG, sparkly. For the bridge, it's usually Twin mode on the Salvation, Deluxe mode is too muddy and the Twox is too bright.

trimix said:
I've got three, a Salvation TwinFace for the blackface Twin and Deluxe tones, a Jaded Faith Twox for clean tweed Bassman and AC30 tones, and a stock Clean. The stock Randall does particular things better than the Fender-esque mods, particularly effect laden tones.

Nice collection! Stock clean is a very solid clean....Never played the Twox but have heard good things....LOVE the Twinface....That one never gets old....

Mattfig said:
Capt_Tippy said:
Mattfig said:
No love for the cleans??? :)

My favorite clean is a secret ;)

Well that helps.... :lol: What is it and who made it? Don't be such a mod-tease!

Well, It's not really just about the module. If I told you the module, you'd be like... yeah that module is OK. There's a LOT more that goes into really getting the great Clean tone. Head/Tubes/Speaker, and Cab/Cables/Pickups/Signal Chain, and effects. etc etc.

I mean... You know a lot of my modules.

TwinFace Loneclean MatchVox VybeDLX etc...

Module is just a tiny part of the bigger picture. Without the rest of the signal chain, the module isn't much help.

I wasn't gonna respond at all, but you're like... "wtf? guys?" LoL

I'm not gonna tell ya my whole chain though. I'm def digging it lately for sure though. When my 26yr old (incredibly skilled guitar playing) son comes over and says stuff like... "Woah Dad! WTF!?!"... "I mean it was huge! ..and then you hit that button!! Holy ****!!" haha Then he's trying to find days he has so he can come over and play my rig... ;)

Keepin this formula to myself haha

..but, The clean in the MarkUS (that's not meant to be there) is a good one, but you already know that.

Capt_Tippy said:
Mattfig said:
Capt_Tippy said:
Mattfig said:

Well that helps.... :lol: What is it and who made it? Don't be such a mod-tease!

Well, It's not really just about the module. If I told you the module, you'd be like... yeah that module is OK. There's a LOT more that goes into really getting the great Clean tone. Head/Tubes/Speaker, and Cab/Cables/Pickups/Signal Chain, and effects. etc etc.

Module is just a tiny part of the bigger picture. Without the rest of the signal chain, the module isn't much help.

I'm not gonna tell ya my whole chain though. I'm def digging it lately for sure though. When my 26yr old (incredibly skilled guitar playing) son comes over and says stuff like... "Woah Dad! WTF!?!"... "I mean it was huge! ..and then you hit that button!! Holy s*&t!!" haha Then he's trying to find days he has so he can come over and play my rig... ;)

..but, The clean in the MarkUS (that's not meant to be there) is a good one, but you already know that.

Gotcha Capt....That chain is like your secret sauce.. 8) I can respect that....

So now to the point...

CLIPS!!!! Or it's a Line 6 Pocket POD! j/k but it had to be done...

JF TWOX.
Best MTS clean for my ears.
I use it in Tweed mode.
I require something with headroom
that doesn't break up too quickly and
has a big, solid tone.
For me, the TWOX is the only one that has lived up to those needs.

I only have my Selma and Twinface. Although they both do cleans, they also do a lots of dirty things to. But you know that.

I played a crappy SS Fender amp the other day, It was spanky clean and very rich. It did not sound SS but for the spanky, snappy clean it delivered

Mattfig said:
Capt_Tippy said:
Mattfig said:
Capt_Tippy said:
Mattfig said:

I'm not gonna tell ya my whole chain though. I'm def digging it lately for sure though. When my 26yr old (incredibly skilled guitar playing) son comes over and says stuff like... "Woah Dad! WTF!?!"... "I mean it was huge! ..and then you hit that button!! Holy s*&t!!" haha Then he's trying to find days he has so he can come over and play my rig... ;)

Gotcha Capt....That chain is like your secret sauce.. 8) I can respect that....

So now to the point...

CLIPS!!!! Or it's a Line 6 Pocket POD! j/k but it had to be done...

Ha! Maybe Ill make ya a clip or two. Won't be this week probably though.

My recording rig and my live rig are two completely dif rigs. Live rig sounds better. I didn't put half the work or $$ into the recording rig as I did the live rig, but its next on the list.

The live rig is pretty much done is done and perfect. I have some mics and I might be able to mic it and get something on soundcloud from the live gear though.

I wish I had the $$ for a two notes studio or something like that for the recording set up. $1600 is a chunk to put down all at once though. I use the 1101 to load impulses and it sounds "OK" but def nothing special. It only does mono and the impulses sound decent but pretty mediocre through it. Not even half as good sounding as what comes out of my speakers.

Sooo you can come for a visit if ya wanna put down the $$ for a flight, but its gonna be hard for you to really hear what it sounds like even if I do make some clips. ;)

Recording thing isn't quite up to where it should be for me...

Our band plays mostly Steely Dan, Police, Dire Straits, and Mark Knopfler, so my clean tone is VERY important. We're definitely not a metal band so I don't have any "high-gain" modules. Check out some of our song samples in the link to my band's web site below.

I use a Randall stock Clean most of the time. I've found the effects I couple with my clean tone are way more important than with my low- or mid-gain modules. The effects box I love is a GSP-2101. I have 3 of them. My company has even written a Windows interface for this unit, called MIDIWizard (you can find this on eBay).

The other effects box I rely on is a Strymon El Capistan. This by far the best simulation of various old tape loop units I have ever tried. You can nail Hank Marvin's tone or that of the Ventures with this little gem.