New to the Modular Family and a (SL2X) Question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMMP

Reaction score
Hi guys!
After a long deliberation and moving gear to fund the purchase, I am now joining the modular family. I was looking at the synergy stuff last night and thinking how I wanted two of the syn002s because 4 module preamps hardly ever come up for sale. Well, one became available for sale today, and I scooped it up. I'm looking forwards to trying out all kinds of modules and mods and such, but first I have a question. I love the tones in this Bill Staley video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdc22Y7-d2k, and would love to get those higher gain tones out of my incoming RM4. I know the SL2X is an egnater dual channel module, and my inbound preamp won't be able to switch the two modes. Which modded module will get closest to the the sl2x? I especially like that video because Bill is playing through a fryette 2/90/2 and Mesa V30 cab, which closely mirrors my setup (I have a 2/50/2 and V30 Mesa Traditional Cab). Thanks for any recommendations!

welcome to the fun. If I were you I'd start buying all the stock mods I could for under 100 bucks and send them for modification.

That stock egnater mod sounds pretty great, although a little brittle. Could be the way it's dialed in or the presence setting on the amp or just the recording method.

No doubt that one of the modders could improve it greatly. Bass boost, mid voicings, noise gate....or turn it into something else entirely Seems that Rob had a bunch of discontinued mods in that vein.

I only have one dual mod, the SL2X D/S from the last run Egnater did. The D/S module came stock with the dual/single switch referenced above, as well as a mid voicing push button:

E95CED4D-A59B-4A5E-8220-1BF873029A8E_zpsb4kvar4c.jpg

Thanks for the responses! I got the RM4 in today, and like what I'm hearing, but will definitely be looking into modded modules soon. I played the 4 stock modules the RM came with through my Mesa Roadster's power section, and the recto module particularly stood out as not very authentic. The Plexi module is nice , but the SL+ coming next week will probably have more of the gain level I like.