which medium gain to High-ish gain mod has the best clarity?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
that's it. need to know your opinions on which one

by clarity I mean to say note definition in chords and triads, partials, etc. while beefed out on gain. I'm not referring to the mods designed to do Nu Metal or Modern Metal. Just the mid to just above mod gainers.....

While also having warm, responsive EQ section. Tight

thanks

Thanks, Matt. I reckon that's what the Dumble is known for, yeah? I'm not sure I like the smoothness of it. Although it sounds very good in a blues context It;s hard to know if it will do Rock without that smooth, modded Deluxe sound.

I have no idea if that makes any sense.

withmittens sounds like you're looking for something in the plexi flavor.

The Dumble is very clear but it does lean a little towards the blues side of life. I have an old Plexi/Tweed of Robs that (I hate the Tweed side but) the Plexi side has an awesome rock tone to it. I'd suggest you look at something in that direction.

Capt_Tippy said:
withmittens sounds like you're looking for something in the plexi flavor.

The Dumble is very clear but it does lean a little towards the blues side of life. I have an old Plexi/Tweed of Robs that (I hate the Tweed side but) the Plexi side has an awesome rock tone to it. I'd suggest you look at something in that direction.

I was going to say Marshall camp but decided not to limit the thread. I have a Duoplex that is great and I was wondering if there were a Brit flavor that was especially defined with very good note separation of chords.

I don't know... I'm not really a Marshall/Plexi etc guy.

I like ENGL's and Mesa's and I even really like the Dumble as well.

I don't like Friedman's work, but I do really like the JJDirt.

Have you tried a JJDirt?

I never owned or played a DuoPlex so I can't compare.

JJ has a great Rock tone, and it's pretty clear and defined.

Have not tried JJ. I'm not quite sure I understand that one, like the Splawn. These are modded Marshalls?

I think note definition also has a lot to do with tightness, and I'm also not sure what that mean, cut bass and a mid boost? maybe lower mids to middle mids?

if that is true does the Mashaldano make sense or and XTC style? don;t know if these mods have especially defines chord sounds.

Perhaps the Cwatt that I won has the best note separation that I own.

I think (If I have this correct) The JJ Dirt is based on a Friedman modded Marshall that was modded for Cantrell. The JJ100.

I never liked any of the clips I've heard of the Splawn.

I will only add that Humble OD has quite a bit of unique gain available....Much more than you'd think and far beyond what is needed for blues....Rock n Roll comes right out in OD mode....

You may also want to consider a Legend, lots of gain, great note clarity and definition....

Good luck!

The Jaded Faith XTC is great for mid gain tones. Lots of tone options with the structure switch and blue or red channels. It does that "just barely broken up" tone really well with the Plexi channel as well.

A Sacred Groove XTC has many cool tonal variations - especially the toggle between the Blue and Red channels...

Yeah, my mid gain module is the JF XTC. I use the red channel with the structure in the low/old setting. Not so much a fan of the blue channel's voicing, even though it's usually the mid gain sound.
Love it for picking through slightly dirty chords, then step on a boost to crunch it up.

Are all these suggestions mods that are liked or ones that are particularly defined and have great note separation in chord work...meaning each note can be heard clearly on a crunch chord?

The C-Watt is fairly defined, as an example. A Marshall blends everything together in a warm yet singular sounds, more so.

withmittens said:
Are all these suggestions mods that are liked or ones that are particularly defined and have great note separation in chord work...meaning each note can be heard clearly on a crunch chord?

The C-Watt is fairly defined, as an example. A Marshall blends everything together in a warm yet singular sounds, more so.

My Marshall mod blends all the high strings into an upper mid 'chang!'

The XTC tone has more low grunt, which works well gained down for note separation in chords and gained up for body on solo notes. More articulate, but it doesn't 'chang' like the Marshall.