V2 Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND

Reaction score
Hey, it's my first post here

I'm looking for a new amp, I already have a Warhead cabinet so I've been looking various ways for an amp, Splawn, Mark IV, Soldano are pretty much the ones that stick out to me thus far. I've played a bunch already: JCM 800, Dual Recto, XXX, 5150, Fireball and some other amps.

I'm looking for an amp that has a rather smooth lead channel and a good amount of gain for the rythm channel. We play stuff in the likes of Dream Theater, LTE, Symphony X, Nevermore, Metallica and so on.

I fell on that video by Tom Hess and I was surprised by how smooth it sounded. Now I don't know what amp he's using so maybe it's an MTS series or something like that.

http://tomhess.net/video/Through%20the%20Trials.mov

it made me think a bit of the lead on When the Water Breaks by LTE. I don't mean to copy John's tone by any mean but it's sort of a gauge for what I like since I can't give you a plethora of adjectives that people say about tones they want like Scott Henderson and all those guys. So I was wondering if the V2 could be a good bet. I don't want something cheap either, but I find the SS technology is underrated in my humble opinion. But I'd like to make sure on how it sounds and how it's built.

Like I said I'm also looking at Splawn, Soldano and a Mark IV so let me know if you have playing experience with those amps also.

Thanks

You're talking about a pretty wide range of amps there. I'm not sure the V2 is exactly what you're after though. I wouldn't really classify it as a "smooth" amp. The tube od channel can be relatively smooth, but the clean and regular overdrive channels are rather stiff and cold in comparison.

Metallica, Dream Theater, and LTE have all been Mesa endorsers since the dawn of time. The Mark IV in particular, but still I wouldn't really describe that as a smooth amp either. It's the core tone of the Metallica tune "Sad But True", and that's probably the tone it does best.

All of the soldano's I've played were very smooth. Too smooth for my liking, but that's why I have a V2 and not a Soldano. :lol:

well metallica didnt use Mesa's all the time Cliff did back in the day but from Kill 'em All to... Justice For all they used Marshalls Black album and so on Mesa's came into play

Soldano way to much and for metal or smooth...nah

I didn?t want to open new topic for this question....
How far you push your gain knob? Mine is never more than 4, 4.5 max. even than I have too much feedback and microphonics ...
It was always question for me why constructors put so much gain into amp if it not usable?

Is there any tip to use more gain and not to have undesirable noise and microphonics?

By giving you more gain than you will ever use, the amp can accommodate a wide range of different pickups. Also, try cutting back on the treble tone control and then you could use more gain. Hope this helps. Pat L.