RM100 issue help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradle

Reaction score
So I don't know if anyone can help me but my RM100 had a crackle and pop last week when I switched the standby to play. There was a brief flash under the outer side of the power transformer and I switched it off straight away. I opened it up and R10a and R9a on the tube board were burnt out, I pulled the board out and replaced them. Upon further inspection I found the white cable from the standby switch to the power supply board QC6g spade connector was somewhat loose on the board, pulled it off to see a tiny amount of scorching on the pin the spade connects to (which is right near where I saw the flash)

I've since cleaned off the scorching (none was on the board as far as I can see) tightened the spade connector and put it all back together. The amp now seems to run fine.

So my question is could the spade being loose cause the spark and could it take out R10a and R9a on the tube board? Or have I just patched up a symptom of a larger issue? Any thoughts or info would be very much appreciated.

Brad

A loose connection can cause an amp spike which could def cause a spark. The higher amps running through the circuit could definitely burn out related parts.

R9 and R10 make up the artificial CT on the filament supply. This supply is turned on/off via the Power switch. The standby switch has nothing to do with the filament tap at all. If it happens again, you should look for a suspect tube with a filament short.

Cheers guys. I did change out the power tubes when I put it back together. So I guess I'll chalk it up to 2 seperate problems, 1. the spade connector from the standby being loose lighting up and 2. a bad tube cooking R9 and R10. The amp was shipped to me recently and has definatly had someone inside it in the past so I guess it'll take a while to work up some trust.

On a seperate note it came with a foglifter already installed and I was actually surprised at how different it sounds to my other Rm100 with an MDA.

Anyways thanks again!