Just bought an RM100, question on one of the modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevearino

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Steve Clark. I've been playing for about 20 years off and on and am currently not in a band. I've been using a DSL100 for about the last 4 years. I just bought an RM100 with the Blackface,Plexi and XTC modules. I am using it with a Legacy 4x12 bottom with the V30's. I'm loving it bigtime, especially the BF and XTC modules. But I might have a problem with the Plexi one though. I usually have the master cranked and the levels on about 3 or so. When I switch between the BF and XTC, the volume is pretty much even. When I switch to the Plexi, there is a big volume drop and I usually have to bring the level up to about 5 to match the other two. Is this normal with the Plexi module? I checked the tubes and they all seem seated, I do need to get a multimeter as I want to switch the power tubes to some JJ EL34's.
But really my question is, is it normal for the volume on the Plexi to be lower than the other two? Also, what tubes does everyone recommend for preamps? I was going to order JJ 12AX7's when I order the power tubes. I guess these will be fine?
Thanks! :) I also hope to be adding some to this forum in the future too not just asking a bunch of newbie questions. :oops:
Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve! In my RM4, I also noticed that the Plexi seemed a little bit weaker than some of the other modules so I don't think you have a bum module or anything. As for the tubes, I never tried JJ's in it but I did have great success with Electro Harmonix 12AX7-EH tubes in all my modules! Good luck with the new amp, the MTS series is great! :D

Steve - I asked a similar question a few weeks back on the Plexi had - it is a bit lower in comparison to other modules w/ volume level. But that is what it is meant to sound like, so just crank up the level and match it to the other modules you have set in place.

I ran my silverface Plexi side by side to my new Black stripe Plexi w/ updated specs and actually liked the lower end from the silverface Plexi more - so if you have the blackface Plexi you'll notice a more noticeable drop in low end compared to a silverface Plexi, unmodded on both of course. Depending on which one you have.

If you ever get rid of your BF let me know :) I'm looking to add another to my combo coming next week.

Take care -

Thanks Matt and Desciple! :) I did read the other post about the prob you had with the volume on your Plexi, after I posted of course :oops: I need to read before I post haha! I guess I have the silverface plexi module. I didn't know there were two out there. I just bought the RM100 from Music123 for about 1250 with the 3 modules in it. It was a discounted one. I'm not sure why as there are no dents,dings,knicks or anything wrong with the head. The factory box was beat up, but the amp is fine.
I will give the EH preamp tubes a try, thanks Matt!
I'm really diggin the blackface module. I just tried it out today with my modified AmSe Tele(Callaham vintage 3 brass saddle bridge assly and Fralin Blues Special pups). That tone made me VERY happy. I was so used to the not so clean tones with my DSL.
I think I will be tryin to get my hands on a 1086, UltraXL and a Brown module here soon.
Thanks again!
Steve