Cabinets for different modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonsun

Reaction score
Guys,

as I recorded samples for each module, recording all high-gain modules with the same cab results in a not-so-significant-difference of different modules. What do you think which cab fits the best for each module to show their real character? For example:

JF Erect - Mesa 4x12 OS
SM S1S0 - ?

Let's list them by your experience

Leon there is a shitload of crossover between modules (and also amps) A lot of times one guy can get the same sound out of 14 different amps. Hopefully this rings a bell for you. Good luck in your search for great tone!

When I had the JF Splawn module, it loved my Celestion EVH backs and hated my V30's

I have a “British” style and an “American” style cabinet and will be picking up a two notes torpedo captor (using their wall of sound plugin for speakers and cabinets I don’t own).

The American Cabinet is pine and loaded with Weber 10A125 and 10F150 speakers. I like using this with my fender style modules. I like the sound of tens a lot.

The British cabinet is birch ply and loaded with Weber 1230-55 and Blue Dog speakers. I use this for pretty much all my other modules.

I’ll admit if I used more gain and modern tones I’d likely get a vintage 30 and g12t-75.

I like mismatched speaker pairs that are complimentary so I can get options for mixing usually one that emphasizes more of a warmer sound and one that emphasizes a brighter sound. To me they also seem to work well with a modular rig as they are less picky and in some ways sound a little more hi-fi.

With all that said I agree with the poster who mentioned how much overlap exists between a lot of the modules and amps. You can chase tone til the cows come home at the end of the day it’s all about playing and learning to make what you have work for what you wanna do. Good gear is good gear.