BE or HBE?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoR

Reaction score
I don't need super high gain but I hate not having enough. I'm trying to decide which to order... I had a modded Egnater HBE that sounded great but had more gain than I needed so I'm leaning towards the BE. This will be for my main lead tone, so what say you?

To BE or not to BE? That is the question.

I don't have the Synergy stuff yet but my Friedman BE-100 is great in just BE mode....I don't use HBE much on that amp and assume the tone is pretty close with the Syn stuff....Plenty of gain for your stylings with BE IMHO...

Mattfig said:
I don't have the Synergy stuff yet but my Friedman BE-100 is great in just BE mode....I don't use HBE much on that amp and assume the tone is pretty close with the Syn stuff....Plenty of gain for your stylings with BE IMHO...

Excuse my ignorance what is the actual difference - I'm assuming it's a gain stage? 3 for BE, 4 for HBE or are there voicing differences as well?

I was faced with the same dilemma and went with the BE. I have the gain pegged. I use an Xotic BB pedal with the tone controls set at neutral when I want more gain. I do still wonder if I should have got the HBE but the BE does sound great for classic tones. When I want "George Lynch solo" gain, I find I want more gain and find myself going for the BB pedal.

So, what IS the difference between the two? If you dial back the gain on the HBE, does it basically sound like the BE? I have asked this question before and never really got a very good answer.

Uggg!!! I'm so bummed... I ordered the BE module and they sent me another DS module by mistake. :?

Man, I stayed home from work today to be here when it was delivered...

I think they should send me a BE and HBE to make up for it, that's fair right?

Caine said:
If you dial back the gain on the HBE, does it basically sound like the BE?
+1 on needing more info comparing BE gained up vs HBE gain down

On My Friedman modules way back, the BE was very cool. The HBE was a bit of a mess and out of control (consider that I am a high gain freak). That HBE could not do BE with gain level way down.