Synergy has landed

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webrthomson

Reaction score
Got my preamps and SYN-2 today in the UK - very impressed with them in my MOD50:

7LXTnTR.jpg

Interesting looking at the modules themselves - the VH4 has WIMA caps in it just like the actual VH4 and the sound approximation is startling, its very very close to my VH4 even with a different power section on the MOD50.

I've not played a BE100 but the module is very nice indeed - modded Marshall at it's finest!

The SLO is slightly more shouty that I remember my SLO being - mind you it's been a while since I had one - but it ace's that liquid rock lead that the SLO does in spades!

Very happy so far they seem well made and the noise floor for such high gain seems pretty amazingly low. Now the only problem is I want some of the lower gain and clean ones too!!!

I'm going to unbox the SYN-2 and A/B the VH4 module throught my VH4's effect loop and see just how close it is - might have to wait for tomorrow night :(

How do your two SLO mods compare? in terms of closeness to actual amp & quality in sound compared to each other?

withmittens said:
How do your two SLO mods compare? in terms of closeness to actual amp & quality in sound compared to each other?

They are both pretty close to the actual amp!

My JF SLOD-100 is pretty much my cold dead hands module, sounds so good I sold my actual SLO as this module covers what I want. Rob was good enough to add a OD/Crunch switch to the first channel so I can have a slightly less balls out sound in there if I want.

The Synergy SLO is slightly more mid heavy that the JF one, more so that I remember the actual SLO being, that said is does what you expect I just need less mid to get there than the JF one.

The JF one pips the Synergy one on flexibility due to channel one having the Crunch/OD switch – soundwise there is not much in it. The JF is just a tad noisier, but not by much, so little TBH it could be just the tubes.

I don’t think anyone would be disappointed with either, there is something nice about having one designed by Michael Soldano though.

I’m going to play with the feedback switch this evening and see if that makes any difference

so, with the exception of the Soldano having more forward mids, they are the same and achieve the Soldano sound the same or is the gain structure different, too?

withmittens said:
so, with the exception of the Soldano having more forward mids, they are the same and achieve the Soldano sound the same or is the gain structure different, too?

Yup they sound pretty close to me, the gain structure is the same - I think with a few knob tweaks you could get them more or less identical!

withmittens said:
cool. how about syn-2 vs MOD50? with the SLO mods

That is tomorrow evenings adventure - I'm going to run the SYN2 through the power section of the MOD50 and A/B between the amp and SYN2 and see what I think, see if I can pick up any difference between the two.

I've got a few amps that I'm going to try the SYN-2 through and some power amps and see what I think works best!

I'm also going to run the VH4 module through the power section of my VH4 and see just how close it is to the amp!

From initial playing of the VH4 module in the MOD50 I've got very high hopes! I decided to hang off from buying the VH4 pedal as Peter Diezel said on Rig-Talk that the Synergy module was the VH4 preamp in a module, obviously the pedal is not as close since there are no tubes.

webrthomson said:
withmittens said:

That is tomorrow evenings adventure - I'm going to run the SYN2 through the power section of the MOD50 and A/B between the amp and SYN2 and see what I think, see if I can pick up any difference between the two.

I've got a few amps that I'm going to try the SYN-2 through and some power amps and see what I think works best!

I'm also going to run the VH4 module through the power section of my VH4 and see just how close it is to the amp!

From initial playing of the VH4 module in the MOD50 I've got very high hopes! I decided to hang off from buying the VH4 pedal as Peter Diezel said on Rig-Talk that the Synergy module was the VH4 preamp in a module, obviously the pedal is not as close since there are no tubes.

I predict you will love that SYN-2...it has mojo, just like the modules. \m/

I have two MOD50s (one needs minor repair) and they are no slouch either and currently running through my MOD50...still tempted to grab a RT2/50 again at some point.

JKD said:
webrthomson said:
withmittens said:

I predict you will love that SYN-2...it has mojo, just like the modules. \m/

I have two MOD50s (one needs minor repair) and they are no slouch either and currently running through my MOD50...still tempted to grab a RT2/50 again at some point.

Yup it certainly does, mojo is the right work it sounds great - I got an hour this evening and fired it up through the effects loop of my VH4:

hIMKmQJ.jpg

My initial thoughts are:

The VH4 module blue channel is spectacularly close to the amp channel 3 - the module has more bass but my channel and amp volumes are at about 8 o'clock versus the modules at noon - I'm pretty sure that if I was running the channel up it would even out, oh and then I would get arrested for the noise :)

SLO blue channel sounds great so does the HBE blue channel. On the SLO Vs. the JF - the JF definitely has more bass with everything at noon, the SLO module more mids at the same settings. They both sound great through the SYN2 and the VH4 power section - with a bid of tweaking they can be matched pretty easily and the gain is great on both - I don't think anyone would be disappointed with either.

I have to say thus far I'm very impressed - I was on the fence given the price tag and I hummed and hawed about spending more on modular stuff but the tones and usability so far are amazing.

Tomorrow I'm going to do the SYN-2 through the MOD50 and try some power amps!

Very cool reviews

Not sure if you have a way to make clips

But I would love to hear them the VH4
Especially for the modern rock drop D thing

I am looking at grabbing the syn30 head
Is your mod50 with 6l6s

Thanks

webrthomson said:
The VH4 module blue channel is spectacularly close to the amp channel 3 - the module has more bass but my channel and amp volumes are at about 8 o'clock versus the modules at noon - I'm pretty sure that if I was running the channel up it would even out, oh and then I would get arrested for the noise :)

So what's the red channel based on? VH4 channel 4?

gtr31 said:
Very cool reviews

Not sure if you have a way to make clips

But I would love to hear them the VH4
Especially for the modern rock drop D thing

I am looking at grabbing the syn30 head
Is your mod50 with 6l6s

Thanks

Yup - my MOD50 has 6L6's in it at the moment - think they are bog standard JJ's

I'll see what I can do about clips, unfortunately they would just be phone ones but I think it's worth hearing some of the comparisons.

godgrinder said:
So what's the red channel based on? VH4 channel 4?
Thanks

I don't think there is any difference between the channels on the module - the Synergy web site is a little coy on the matter. On the VH4 there is a little voicing difference, essentially more compression, and a bit more gain on channel 4 Vs. 3.

I'm not really hearing that on the module so I'm assuming they are the same - I'll go back and check that though!

thanks for the info and reviews.

what it sounds like to me is that there is little difference between the JF SLO and the Soldano module, either through the RM50, through the SYN-2 into the RM50 or Syn-2 through your VH4.

do I understand this?

you are equally happy with all of these scenarios?

gotta say, I envy your gear right now.

withmittens said:
thanks for the info and reviews.

My pleasure :)

withmittens said:
what it sounds like to me is that there is little difference between the JF SLO and the Soldano module, either through the RM50, through the SYN-2 into the RM50 or Syn-2 through your VH4.

do I understand this?

you are equally happy with all of these scenarios?

Correct there are some voicing differences between the SLO and JF modules but it's nothing that could not be tweaked - either are great!

The modules through the MOD50 or the SYN-2 into the power section of the VH4 all sound great as do my existing modded and stock modules in both scenarios.

I'm not sure I'd say one was better or worse - there is a slight difference but it's akin to moving a module from a my MOD50 to my JF modded RM100. The amp is different but the majority of the character of the module itself stays the same while being impacted by the change in tubes and power section.

I would agree with JKD though the SYN-2 sounds great, my MOD50 is one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard, Bruce put Mercury Magnetic's transformers into mine as I think it was the last MOD50 built and it's a blistering little amp. The SYN-2 keeps up and that is testament to how good it actually sounds.

withmittens said:
gotta say, I envy your gear right now.

I pretty happy with it too, not so happy about my credit card bill mind you :eek:

I meant to chime in here a few weeks back after I took delivery of a SYN-1, Soldano and Dirty Shirley. Things have been so insanely busy at the shop I just haven't had the time.

I tried the SYN-1 hooked up at work to my benchside RM50 for about 5 minutes and got about 2 hours at home hooked up to a Boss Katana 100W with a Celestion Heritage G12H-55Hz Greenback. They did a great job on all of this gear and they should be really proud of their efforts. I really do applaud the results. My impressions are pretty in line with what's said here. It's fairly neck-in-neck with my work and that's impressive given the hurdle our mods overcome without being able to workaround the initial stage being in the amp housing.

I don't know that you would see any drastic differences between a modded module and their equivalent. Just a slightly different flavor that can get extremely close to each other with a slightly different setting of a knob or two. I'll likely pick up a few more for my collection and to support the brand, as should anyone else that supported the concept over the years.

Jaded Faith said:
I don't know that you would see any drastic differences between a modded module and their equivalent. Just a slightly different flavor that can get extremely close to each other with a slightly different setting of a knob or two. I'll likely pick up a few more for my collection and to support the brand, as should anyone else that supported the concept over the years.

Hey Rob - I agree, the synergy stuff is nicely done :)

I think the dual SL-OD you did for me retains the title of my cold dead hands module though! :)

Can't wait to get some of the fender Synergy modules too - you heard any of those yet?

Ross

Jaded Faith said:
I meant to chime in here a few weeks back after I took delivery of a SYN-1, Soldano and Dirty Shirley. Things have been so insanely busy at the shop I just haven't had the time.

I tried the SYN-1 hooked up at work to my benchside RM50 for about 5 minutes and got about 2 hours at home hooked up to a Boss Katana 100W with a Celestion Heritage G12H-55Hz Greenback. They did a great job on all of this gear and they should be really proud of their efforts. I really do applaud the results. My impressions are pretty in line with what's said here. It's fairly neck-in-neck with my work and that's impressive given the hurdle our mods overcome without being able to workaround the initial stage being in the amp housing.

Couldn't agree more with this..especially the bolded stuff!

I'll add thatI totally understand the later iterations of your mods...with the 'simpler', more direct layouts, less bells and whistles (switches).....less noise and more refined tone are probably a better comparison to Synergy.

I love my Salvation SLO (and prior to that the JF SLO and Gigmods version) but it's clear that the less complicated (off board) mods are....the less noisy/easier to maintain it's gonna be :)[/b]

webrthomson: Thanks for the kind words and glad you are so happy with that SL-OD100 after all these years. I haven't heard the Fender modules yet and I doubt that would be something I'd buy personally. There are a few other things I'd be more interested in first.

JKD: They really did a great job and that should be commended. I know most of the team personally and there is a great brotherhood among many of us amp guys. We often help each other out, share knowledge and support each other where we can. I'm beyond happy for them and the result of their hard work. I know there was a lot of impatient remarks the past few years but sometimes these things take a lot of work to get right. Better to be patient than rush something out poorly.

I'm glad that the concept of the Series 2 mods wasn't lost. I'm a firm believer that less can be more. All the options in the world often lead to more noise and make things harder to dial in. If you do something simple and well, it can be far more satisfying. I just did a 2204-style scratch build for a customer. The only change to the entire circuit was a smaller bright cap. I spent great attention to the layout and the wiring runs. Everyone that played it had the exact same comments. The sound felt "3D and like it was coming from all around them" and it was dead quiet. Like turn everything to 10 and is this thing even on quiet.