MOD 50 question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I have been using a MOD 50 lately and it has a high and low power switch. It is weird that the low power is louder butmostly I would just like to know what happens in the amp when I use either.
thanks

It's a different BIAS for sure...you'll see the voltage jump up.

Maybe answer is in here:

http://www.grailtone.com/images/randall-pdf/egnater-mod50-manual.pdf

It is a cool amp for sure! I love that it is MIDI and with the SYN 2 I can switch between all four channels.....five if I use my dual SYNERGY DS.

Also...

https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/225099807-What-is-Class-A-and-how-does-it-differ-from-Class-AB-

Thanks for the AB link JKD. I am still somewhat baffled by the power switch though. The manual says that at a low volume, the 10w side will sound louder and I get that. However, it says if you turn it up pretty loud, you will notice the difference and at that point the 50w side will be louder. On mine, the 10w is always noticeably louder.
Maybe they got reversed somehow? Anyway, they both sound killer. I have two RM50s and this MOD 50 kicks their asses. It is also built much better. I can see why they cost more.

ricky said:
Thanks for the AB link JKD. I am still somewhat baffled by the power switch though. The manual says that at a low volume, the 10w side will sound louder and I get that. However, it says if you turn it up pretty loud, you will notice the difference and at that point the 50w side will be louder. On mine, the 10w is always noticeably louder.
Maybe they got reversed somehow? Anyway, they both sound killer. I have two RM50s and this MOD 50 kicks their asses. It is also built much better. I can see why they cost more.

The 10W side definitely gets louder lower on the dial and the 50W will have more headroom (clean power) as you turn it up...since I live in suburbia, I've never had the balls to turn this up past 11 o'clock...so freaking loud. \m/

New to the forum. Has anyone changed the transformers in their Randall RM50 with MM transformers and found the amp to be smoother and more like an Egnater MOD 50?

forensbro said:
New to the forum. Has anyone changed the transformers in their Randall RM50 with MM transformers and found the amp to be smoother and more like an Egnater MOD 50?

When you get the amp modified, we can customize both the output section and power supply as part of the process. I use different transformers and chokes for different results. Feel free to call or email and I can discuss the options and what would work best for what you want.

I have had Rob modify RM50s and the change is noticeable.....not sure how to describe it.....Bigger and smoother? I also have a MOD50 and it is better built and just an incredible amp all round. I was never about midi in an amp[ but it is really a plus.

The high power mode does get louder when you turn the volume right up. But, even in the 10W low power mode, the MOD50 is very loud. To hear the volume difference between 10W and 50W, you need to have the master nearly maxed out, and it is noticeably louder when you do - and in most small environments, that is deafening.