SYN2 into powered FRFR speaker

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serge20261

Reaction score
Can I go straight into a powered Wedge?
Confused if I need anything else,like a IR to make this happen,and if so how
I’m a noob so would need step by step instructions
All the gear and no idea

INHO, FRFR tech is kinda sketchy still and designed more for digital modelers. FRFR is designed to work with an IR so you would need to interface your SYN2 with a computer or hardware that can use IRs...

If you went straight in, it would be a fizzy sounding disaster...

Good luck!

withmittens said:
couldn't one of those torpedo gadgets do this? not that it makes sense but, technically....
Yup, the CAB would be ideal but the built in speaker emulation is great as well.

Mattfig said:
INHO, FRFR tech is kinda sketchy still and designed more for digital modelers. FRFR is designed to work with an IR so you would need to interface your SYN2 with a computer or hardware that can use IRs...

If you went straight in, it would be a fizzy sounding disaster...

Good luck!

I thought the synergy mods had cabinet simulation ?

Ther are any number of IR loaders and tube power amp sims that work wonderfully with MTS/Synergy, assuming one knows how to pick a IR, i.e. how to mic a cab etc?

The Torpedo CAB works beautifully for this, been doing it for years, and there are now other options from Mooer, Nux, AMT, and Atomic etc.

I've only used the Two Notes Torpedo CAB/WOS so far, and I love it DI'd, or through cabs (guitar or FRFR) via lightweight solid state power.

You can absolutely connect the SYN-1 or SYN-2 to a full range monitor like the Friedman ASM-12. It sounds fantastic.

If you want to use an IR, then you need to bypass (turn off) the cabinet simulation. There is a small push button switch on the back of either unit that indicates “CAB SYM BYPASS”.

We spent a LONG atone dialing this in.

No offense but, it's funny to see people not willing to give up tubes in their signal chain, but accept software emulation of speaker, cabinet, miking, etc, when, really, those variables affect the sound in almost every respect 10 times more than preamp tubes (as opposed to transistors), plus the fact that preamps are easier to emulate than speakers and cabs.