Fryette powerstation or new head to go with Syn 2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismilne

Reaction score
I have a Peavey classic 50/50 stereo power amp but I’ve been eyeing a Fryetter power station 2 for all of its features. Direct out (with power amp in the chain notnjust preamp out). Using as a pose amp for my Kemper. Making direct profiles with my Kemper. Possibly gain staging/attenuating my old fender Princeton but probably would do that often.

Alternatively I could save the $600-700 from the power station and get a head to use with the syn 2. Would save me having to buy as many modules. I’ve been considering a used Friedman Smallbox or Suhr Bella head. So that would be one or two modules I’d not have t get. So used Smallbox $2000 save on not getting a Plexi or be module $800 and the $700 from the powerstetion. Though instilll need a load box (Suhr reactive load or torpedo captor).

Decisions...any food for thought or help/tips?

I think either option would work well.

I own a Power Station 2, a Shur Reactive load and a Torpedo reload.
The PS2 will work great for the applications you mentioned and is an all around useful piece of gear, it is recommended for sure.

For just going direct in, the Shur Reactive Load is best for me, it has the most natural feeling load of any load box I have used.
I would say the PS2's adjustable load will get very close to the Shur, its maybe only a 5% difference.

I don't use the load section on my Two Notes Reload, for me its a little stiff, and a little brittle in the highs. It is still very good, just not as good as the other two.

The Power Station's power amp section is very transparent as it is intended to not add any color to the power section of the amp it's loading and re-amping.

For that reason, it would not be my first choice as a power amp for a Syn2. I think you want some power amp color, granted if your not turning it up, you my not notice a difference.

I very much prefer the sound of my Fryette 2502 over using the PS as a power amp every time I've tried. Better still is the Power section of my Landry. Having owned a Smallbox, I think it would work nicely as well.

But what is the intended use? You mention needing a loadbox if you go with an amp, would that be for recording direct? What I'm getting at is your needs might be different if you're setting up a rig for gigging as opposed to direct recording. Can you clarify that? Also, you have no intention to ever play in stereo?

MarcoR said:
The Power Station's power amp section is very transparent as it is intended to not add any color to the power section of the amp it's loading and re-amping.

For that reason, it would not be my first choice as a power amp for a Syn2. I think you want some power amp color, granted if your not turning it up, you my not notice a difference.

I very much prefer the sound of my Fryette 2502 over using the PS as a power amp every time I've tried. Better still is the Power section of my Landry. Having owned a Smallbox, I think it would work nicely as well.

But what is the intended use? You mention needing a loadbox if you go with an amp, would that be for recording direct? What I'm getting at is your needs might be different if you're setting up a rig for gigging as opposed to direct recording. Can you clarify that? Also, you have no intention to ever play in stereo?

I mentioned some of those above. Yeah loadbox is for recording direct or making kemper direct profiles (without all the noise). I do not gig, its all for playing/recording. For the times i play in stereo i have a Peavey 50/50 tube power amp, or if i get a head i would use another head that i have (I have a Peavey XXX and a Fender Princeton, original) depending on styles of music.

One other thing is I mostly play upstairs in a spare room at night, but plan on finishing a dedicated room in the basement....and i'd like something easy to grab and move up/down stairs quickly (and light...i have a bad back!)

Leaning a bit towards the head, but the cost would be much higher buy in!...also given i would need a Suhr reactive load on top of the amp purchase.

Thanks!

How would this differ from the syn 50/50. Also made my Fryetter I would think the amp is very similar to the powerstation x 2

chrismilne said:
How would this differ from the syn 50/50. Also made my Fryetter I would think the amp is very similar to the powerstation x 2

It is very similar from what I can tell, except of course the 50/50 is a stereo amp in a 1U space.

I owned a Power Station 2 for a while. It's a fantastic piece of gear but it was redundant and not really necessary for me at the time.

I'm eyeing a 50/50 for my upcoming Synergy rig though, because I'm now in a position to really utilize something like that. The 1U form factor is probably the biggest selling point for me personally.